Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#813 02/18/03 10:36 PM
OP Offline

Hey. In the betty erickson technique she says that if you kind of go to sleep its ok because your subconscious will be working on your goal for that session (ie being able to go deep and quickly into trance). But how does this allow you to give yourself suggestions later on? I've read other techniques such as focusing on each of part of your body till you are completely limp and then counting down to get yourself deeper. How is that different from the betty erickson? I tried one yesterday with the erickson where I set a time limit and then went into an inner awareness (although I kept being distracted by what I was thinking about and coming back to outer awareness) and then pretty much went unconscious. At about the time limit I was jolted back to consciousness like a shock in away that really suprised me. It wasnt smooth like coming out of trance or something at all. I want to really develop self-hypnosis as a skill. Thanks for your help. By the way, it seems like self-hypnosis makes things like paraliminals almost obsolete. What do you think? Thanks again.

#814 02/19/03 09:14 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Create a tape. That is one of the more effective ways to use self hypnosis.

Alex

#815 02/19/03 03:34 PM

there are no suggestions given during the betty erickson. you have done it just right.

you just give the outcome/goal you want, use the betty to take you into trance, and allow your unconscious to process tthe request and gather your unconscious resources to get you your outcome. no suggestions are needed. just the outcome, then the trance, then the wake-up. thats it.

you're doing great by the way. you have got the knack of it very quickly.

i dont think the paraliminals are obsolete because they are very well made tapes. the suggestions are fantatically constructed, and the overall production is great. plus most love the double induction that they use. so i dont think they are obsolete, they are very powerful. but becoming a master of self hypnosis does give you more flexibility to go where you really want to go and how you want to get there. you arent limited by the LS product range. you can really spread your wings.

also, as alex said, you can try using taped suggestions. look into how to phrase suggestions, make a tape, and see how you like it in comparison to the betty and other methods.

find whats most comfortable and yields the best results.

have fun exploring.

#816 02/19/03 03:57 PM
OP Offline

So in betty erickson you dont use suggestions in trance. But what about the methods where you do? Dont you have more control of the outcome because you are doing the suggestions? Did you start using erickson and then move to something more complex? Are there advantages to giving suggestions in trance rather than using erickson? I want to get proficient at both methods so I am not limited. What do you think?

#817 02/19/03 05:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by danno0909:
So in betty erickson you dont use suggestions in trance. But what about the methods where you do? Dont you have more control of the outcome because you are doing the suggestions?

thats right, no suggestions in betty. your unconscious knows everything about your problem, your goal, or your outcome, so it knows the best way of achieving your outcome. if you state your outcome before you go in, you are telling your unconscious to "go get it". the good thing about using the betty is that once you have stated what you want, you can use her to let you drift away completely and you dont have to worry about checking how deep you are, or remembering to do visualisations or try to talk positive suggestions. all these things will pull you out of trance somewhat, because you are monitoring your consciousness and trying to control yuor conscious activity for visualisations etc, rather than letting go and allowing yuorself to sink deeper.

so it is nice to just forget all the bull**** and just drift away with nothing to worry about, with perfect confidence that your unconscious is bringing all its resources together to fulfill your outcome.

my personal opinion is to get a good book. you have lots of questions that need answering, and the more you do hypnosis, the more questions you will get. it is best to get all the questions and misunderstandings out of the way first. then you have a solid platform of knowledge from which to work. you're not always uncertain about the best way to do things etc.

i didnt go that route. i tried to piece together a little piece of this info from this website to a little piece of info from that. left me with a batch of fragmented knowledge. and as a result, i didnt really know what i was doing. and i was always uncertain about whether i was doing things the best way. i could have avoided all this if i'd read a good book or two and had a firm grasp of what i needed to do, and why. its a massive help to be confident in what you're doing. uncetainty will only slow yor progress.

theres so much to learn and the more you do, the better you will get, and the better you get, the beter results you will get.

good luck.

[This message has been edited by Dr Robotnik (edited February 19, 2003).]

#818 02/19/03 09:22 PM
OP Offline

Thanks robotnik. Can you suggest any books to get me started?

#819 02/19/03 11:50 PM

check out Trance-Formations by richard bandler and john grinder.

you'll need to get a second hand copy because it is out of print now.
www.bookfinder.com will be able to find you a cheap copy.

#820 02/20/03 02:19 AM
OP Offline

hahahah. actually i just bought that book and received it last week although i have yet to read it. any others in addition to that?

#821 02/20/03 03:34 AM
OP Offline

hey, doesnt using betty eliminate the need to know how to form good suggestions? i mean, you can state you purpose pretty easily since you are talking to you conscious and your subconscious will know what you mean by it.

#822 02/20/03 03:37 AM
OP Offline

also, in betty do you need to repeat sessions? like, in doing manual self-hypnosis you give yourself suggestions but in betty you just kind of let your subconscious work on it. so do you just continue to do sessions of betty on something until you get the results you want? or can you just do it once or twice? Is using suggestions more effective?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved