Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#77462 01/20/11 02:16 AM
lupek Offline OP
OP Offline

It takes me two hours to activate a book. Is that normal? I go chapter by chapter find a line that attracts my attention then read one or two pages. Should I find a line that interests me then find the main point- the train of thought? I make a mind map, but I don't really remember that much of the book when I'm done activating. Any advice would be good.

lupek #77464 01/20/11 07:13 AM
Learning Strategies Admin

It takes 8 to 12 hours for most people to read the average book.

If you don't remember much from the book when you're done activating you need more questions and purpose. "Interest" is great for building curiosity. Why is it interesting, compared to what? Was the interesting stuff relevant to your purpose. If you don't remember much of it then it didn't satisfy your purpose.

Always do the prepare step first. Skip that one you may as well drop the book as well.

Alex

lupek Offline OP
OP Offline

I thought you should only pick two to three questions. So my purpose should be that which most interests me in the book I'm reading? Whats a good purpose? What are good probing questions? For example- what in this book is most helpful for me to know?

lupek #77476 01/21/11 10:53 AM

what in this book is most helpful for me to know?

Whether that is a good question depends on your purpose.

If you pick up a book and have no purpose. How can you decide what in a book is helpful for me to know.

If it's me activating a book. Nope that question will get me peanuts on most books. To me it screams, I don't know what I want from this book because I have no purpose. It lacks intention. Helpful is weak.

For example if my purpose is to "read a book so that I can ...x..."

Then my first questions would be, What do I need to ask so I can achieve that? What don't I know? What do I need to learn? What will I know when I've achieved my purpose? What has the author got to say that can help me. With that postview and form more specific questions.

I might I might notice the author explaining something... Humm that's interesting, it looks like something that will help me towards my purpose. I've got a question and will go into more detail during activation.

Right here on the forum I'm writing out what happens in the mind so rapidly you may not even notice you did that. And it works fast because you have a purpose. If you don't know why you're reading a book, what you intend to learn, How you intend to use what you learned or what curiosity you're trying to satisfy you wind up looking at a string of words. Hoping something might smack you in the head because it's meaningful.

And in my experience, it never worked that way. I closed the book and knew little more than when I started. Test me on it two days later and I'd have failed spectacularly.

By having a purpose, I've given myself a hook for remembering what I read.

Alex

lupek Offline OP
OP Offline

OK, so a book about painting's purpose would be- I want to know how to paint? Do I have to postview immediately after photoreading? Can I break activation into segments hour by hour? When I super read, and dip do I need to search for what I'm drawn to, the main point the author is making at the moment or, do I go chapter by chapter the way I've been doing it?

lupek #77499 01/24/11 08:30 AM

Not necessarily. I know for a fact there are many ways to paint. It's not the same approach for a car, an interior wall or exterior wall. It also changes whether you want to paint just one colour or more colours or an image.

So saying, 'I want to paint' is like saying I want to find where there is hidden treasure when the book you have is an atlas.

Assuming you know nothing about painting and everything I just wrote is news to you. Then wanting to know how to paint is only part of the purpose, Why do you want to paint.

The purpose of I want to learn how to paint a mural, so that I can decorate my car. Will have you looking more specifically for information that will help you with that.

Just as the purpose, "I want learn how to paint a mural, so that I can decorate my bedroom wall." Would have you activating for information that will help you do that.

And the purpose "I want learn how to paint murals, so that I can decide what type of murals I might paint." Has you looking through the book differently again.

Each one you'll hone in to information that will help you achieve your purpose.

If your purpose is vague your activation will be vague.

So the purpose I want to learn how to paint is not a complete purpose.

I want to learn about painting so that I can discuss it with my arty friends. Or, so that I can understand what the decorator is talking about. Complete it as well.

Purpose is the reason you choose to learn something. I need to know how to paint a mural because I want one on my wall. My purpose then is to learn how to paint murals on walls, so that I can paint one on my wall.

Alex

lupek Offline OP
OP Offline

Ok, thank you for answering my question. Will you answer the other ones- "Do I have to postview immediately after photoreading? Can I break activation into segments hour by hour? When I super read, and dip do I need to search for what I'm drawn to, the main point the author is making at the moment or, do I go chapter by chapter the way I've been doing it?"

lupek #77513 01/25/11 09:22 AM

I suggest you re-read the chapters on postviewing, and Activation.

I've repeatedly posted on the forum activation should not exceed 30 minutes without a break. Personally I prefer no longer than 20 minutes because of the way the brain works.

Alex

Beautiful this explanation Alex, thanks!
So I would continue, for having very clear in my mind how to "build" the right purpose.
I'm PRing financial books, trading books, I explain now my steps for finding a valid purpose:

My 1st objective is to develop a trading system which allow me to gain 20% at least. So the purpose can be "I'm PRing these books because I want develop a 20% gain trading system"(we'll call this PURPOSE 1).

Generalizing, why do I want to develop a trading system like this? Because I want to transform it in my major business. So the 2nd purpose can be "I want to PR these books because I want develop a new trading system for becoming financially independent with a business that gain at least 20% per time". (we'll call this PURPOSE 2)

But why do I want a business like this? Because I want to gain financial freedom and consequently my time, for using it in family, in other things I like & so on. So, the ultimate purpose can become "I want to PR these books for developing a trading business, which allow me to use my time for what I love (family, passions, ...) (we'll call this PURPOSE 3)

So, which is the right purpose? I think the more precise is the 2nd, but the 3rd is the ultimate purpose.
Waiting for your answers/suggestions, thank you.
Bye

rodario #77612 02/15/11 01:22 PM

You can use them all. It just changes how you would approach activation.

For example for the first purpose I would use syntopic reading. Find systems that work and what didn't compare them to others that came close and why not.

The 3rd purpose is one that kick starts the whole process it gives you the reason to open trading books in the first place.

Remember your purpose is not set in stone. It's a path to your destination. So it can change with each activation layer. If you discover the author has some juicy information that you haven't thought of before, and it strikes you is interesting, then you would want to find out more. In purpose would become, to learn more, so that I can find out if this will serve my trading business. If it does, you probably find yourself changing your purpose again, to be more specific.

Alex

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved