Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#77548 01/30/11 12:53 AM
OP Offline

Dear All,
OK I feel more comfortable by photoreading! It seems to work at least for me.
I am assigned to write a review literature on a specific drug in the next two weeks. I photoread 23 papers in about 3 hours (it is nearly impossible to do it in less than an hour) I have several mind maps on my purpose. But I did not understand how to syntopically read. What should I do with differences and similarities among the papers I am reading? I mean should I create another mind map for only differences and similarities? what is the difference between syntopic reading and photoreading a dozen of papers?
Should I create a mind map, writing my purpose in center and all relevant passages around it and connect them to the center? For this I think I need a giant paper?!
I would appreciate if any body can help me.

Here's an idea off the top of my head:
Put your drug name in the middle of your mind map(e.g Pentoxyfilline). Put the different parts of the paper you need to include in your review around your central topic; eg. introduction, mechanism of action, clinical application, summary of literature etc. then add in the details you get from the different papers in the appropriate sections. So you MOA, intro, historical use etc will be similiar across all the papers, but some papers may have different applications, some papers may look at the different possible MOAs, some may be case reports; then add those details to your mind map in the appropriate section. In your summary you can draw conclusions on the contradictions, discrepancies or unknowns regarding the drug. Let it incubate first though. You'll drive yourself crazy if you try to do it all in a short period of time. Consider Endnote or similiar program to organize your references as you write.
Does that help?
Lisa

DrLisa7 #77610 02/15/11 01:10 PM
Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

Grab the PhotoReading book and see the chapter on syntopic reading. It shows you how to draw the mind frame and what to mind map.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved