Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#77684 02/28/11 11:00 PM
OP Offline

Let everyone know what is working for you! What kind of feedback are you getting from your participants?

OP Offline

Hi Everybody!

On Saturday, February 26th, I put on a Happiness Workshop. It was fantastic! The participants were engaged and interested before we even began. I had 24 people sign up for class and 20 show up. One woman called an hour before the class because she just got back from vacation and wanted to extend her happy mood. I changed the order of the 2 hour class because my personal story is about my own happiness set point and brought that information to the beginning. Also, instead of explaining all of the Happiness Habits, I chose to fully teach 7 (some were group exercises, some writing for themselves). No one grunted or groaned when they had to get up out of their chairs for Chi Gong, honestly everyone was into learning as much as possible smile

My "Big Thing" that I learned? Practice in front of two people so that the exercises can be timed in reality! While my husband and I accounted for time when people would be checking in with each other, we should have allotted more time for questions that come up. I went over 45 minutes! While everyone stayed...what I didn't get was a lot of lingering afterwards....which led to only selling 1 book and 1 paraliminal! More importantly, people wanted to give me feed back and thanks after we were finished, but not everyone could stay to wait their turn. No weird feelings, just not as well orchestrated on the back end smile

Things that worked:
Each person received a folder with their note taking (power point) sheets, the exercises, a Happiness Assessment, an upcoming meditation class invitation and my business card.
Had two friends helping sign people in so that I was available for conversation.
Asked the group to state what they hoped to learn in class (it's a time eater, but worth it for a group this size!). They each said something provocative and different. It also helped me remember to look at those women when "their" subject came up.
Provided mints - when they began to break into pairs for discussion, a lot of people jumped up to grab a mint...it made them feel comfortable to talk to strangers.
I remembered to breathe a lot!

Other things I learned:
Don't make colored copies! Wow, that ate up my profit!
Take 1 full minute to myself during the break
Consider not having a break for a 2 hour class
People loved the scientific information, have more when the group leans this way
Move the Law of Attraction to the 4 hour format

I created a slide with a general (super basic!) description of oxytocin, endorphins and seratonin...will post this later in the resources thread. Also put the information about dopamine onto the Appreciation slide, which got everyone excited smile

Overall it was great! Things ran smoothly and my energy was up and grounded at the same time. I'm looking forward to teaching more people in this way!

Thanks for sharing your success with us Kim.

It sounds like the session went well. I appreciate hearing your approach and modifications. I also appreciate hearing what you learned and the changes you are considering for the next time.

How did you get the word out and manage to find 24 people who wanted to attend?

Bonnie Best

BonnieB #77726 03/07/11 11:48 PM
OP Offline

Hi Bonnie!

First, I completely ran out of time, but had planned on inviting you to the workshop since you are in the Bay Area! You are more than welcome to come as my guest to my April 9th, The Love Course, and I will send you details personally once everything is drafted smile

The place that I held my workshop, Liquid Marin, has a great email list. One of the options they offer is to email to their list about your workshop for a split instead of hourly rent. Everyone in their database shops at their store in Marin, so 99% live in the Bay Area.
My 24 went like this:
5 from my list
14 from Liquid Marin's list
5 friend referrals from Liquid Marin sign ups.
I put a sign up at the local alternative bookstore, but at the point I was almost full. Just making sure to try different things. Also 2 facebook posts and the front page and workshop page of my website, craigslist, Marin Mommies event page and San Rafael Patch's website.

Possibly useful:
I put up a shopping cart on my website so that folks could sign up for class without playing phone tag. There were a couple of mornings I woke up to money in my paypal smile 4 people brought me checks that day, but I had most of the money stuff taken care of as I firmly believe people put more attention on things they have paid for. Two of my no-shows had registered, but never made it clear how they were going to pay. The other two got sick and I refunded them.

Thanks Kim for the information on how you found the people, that is very helpful!

Thanks for the invitation to your April 9th workshop. Unfortunately I have an event that day in San Jose.

Do you mind telling us how much you charged for the 2 hour workshop?

I'm using a PayPal button on my website for a class I'm doing in Pleasanton. (not one of Marci's workshops, because I really don't feel ready yet to create one) I know what you mean about the convenience of that and opening up my PayPal account and seeing money in there!

Bonnie

BonnieB #77730 03/08/11 06:12 PM
OP Offline

Hi Bonnie,
I charged $39 for the workshop

Thanks for telling me what you charged.

I enjoyed hearing more about your success on the bonus call tonight.

I thought I heard you say tonight that your next workshop will be April 10. That is a Sunday. If that is when you're going to be doing the next workshop, I'd like to accept your invitation to attend.

I have an event I have to be at on Saturday, April 9. I am available on Sunday.

I'm looking forward to organizing my first workshop. I was motivated during our call tonight.

BonnieB #77768 03/16/11 05:17 PM
OP Offline

I have changed the date since that earlier post smile
Glad you were inspired! Nate helped open my eyes last about how to actually get something to happen out of social networking!
I will send you the information when my marketing material is complete!

OP Offline

Pure Bliss!
I taught my first Love Course on April 17th, this past Sunday. It was a smaller group (6 participants), however I feel that is because the class drew the people who wanted the juiciest experience - and they were open, present and able to receive the information and the love within them. It was really a room full of love teachers smile
I changed the format to be more intimate. Nixxed the power point and developed a handout. I sat with them instead of standing, keeping our hearts and eyes on the same level. The intimacy of a small group has made me make a decision about my next class - I am going to hold 2 sessions on the same day and limit the class to 10 participants, instead of having a class of 20. This will be in June and I'll let you know how it goes!
Thanks for all of your supportive personal emails to me, too smile it really helps!
Lots of Love,
Kim

Kim,
Thank you for sharing your wins & learnings with all of us. I just wanted to add a little bit to your thoughts on color printing. At my first happiness workshop, I printed in color as well and I had the same experience as you did, less profits! At the same time, I am a very visual person and I get disheartened when I pay a lot of money to go to a workshop and only get a black and white workbook. It bums me out. So, I purchased a color laser printer and print all of my stuff at home. It saves me money overall (less printing cost) as well as gives me full control over when I print.

I use a very specific format for my workbooks for my participants. Being in Asia we use a paper size called A4 and A5. I use the A5 size which is basically half a regular sized piece of paper. Everyone also gets extra paper to use for taking notes.

The most consistent feedback that I get is that everyone LOVES the workbooks I provide because it is that special 'extra' thing that they were not expecting. They also say that the quality of the printing makes them feel like they are getting value for the money they pay.

I just thought this might help others weigh their decisions between color or black & white.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard