Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#77755 03/11/11 02:17 PM
OP Offline

Alex-

I have several case studies in pages between 15 to 22. They are packed with summarized information with names, dates, tables and other relevant information. My purpose and questions in and around to understand and grasp the background, find facts which are relevant to the topic I am studying, build up conclusions to develop a report for results and group discussions and apply findings to real life to ensure permanent changes in my thought process. I develop mind maps at the end but my activation process is still tend to go back to classic reading method. What is your recommendation?

Chris

Learning Strategies Admin

You don't have a clear purpose. What is the end goal for your reading?

So that I can....?

Alex

OP Offline

For instance
-Understand the elements of a balance sheet report to gauge financial health of a company in terms of assets, liabilities and owner's equity and suggest / take necessary measures to improve.
-understand the micro, meso and organizational level behavioral theories to review and conclude and suggest proper corrective actions to improve performance of a company.
Chris

Doesn't work for me. It's academic speak. Does it work for you?

Alex

OP Offline

It does not work for me either, that is why I am raising it -again. I am trying to set the purpose to be practical and applicable to real life but it is obvious that I am stuck with the right workding. It is the basis of the whole concept and I am still not getting it right. How would you set your purpose? I guess simpler the better but would not it make it too broad?

Chris

Purpose is your reason for doing something. It gives you the game plan or map to helps you see when you got what you need. That's what makes it practical in real life. Identifying your needs.

Finish the sentence.

I want this information [insert what you are expecting to learn] so that I can.....

Then you have your purpose.

Next you look at your purpose and form mind probing questions that you want answered by the author.

No one can tell you your purpose because it's your reason for doing something.

My purpose? Give me the title of the book. No title = no book = no need for a purpose because there is no next step for me.

Alex

Last edited by Alex K. Viefhaus; 03/24/11 06:19 AM.
OP Offline

One of the text books I have been studying is Wagner & Hollenbeck's "Organizational Behavior".

I am currently working on to develop a case study from my real life experience and refer motivational theories to the case. I guess my purpose would sound like this:

"I want to learn academic motivational theories so that I can refer them to my -real life example- case study deliverable.

Chris

My first purpose would be, I'm PhotoReading this book so that I can find out if there's anything of importance in it for me in my life.

If after PhotoReading and a short postview it I'm not spirited to look further I dump it. There are too many other books I know will grab me.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved