Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#78011 04/20/11 12:07 AM
OP Offline

just got back last night from the PhotoReading seminar in Minneapolis with Paul Scheele. This was my second seminar, took the first one from Cheryl Hiltibrand about 5-6 years ago. That was one was excellent. This one with Paul was just off the hook.

The purpose of this post is twofold:

First, if you've never been to a live seminar and you want to really get proficient at Photoreading, do yourself a favor and go to one. It was tremendous. There's no better way to learn this skill. We had such a diverse group of people. Attendees were from 13 different countries and probably 20 different states. Great folks and the other photoreading instructors who were there to pitch in and assist were also tremendous.

Second, I periodically see people come on this forum and say that photoreading doesn't work. If you're perusing this forum gathering info on photoreading and wondering if it's for real, I will tell you flat out, it IS. I just took a book that would normally take me about 8 hours to read and got out of it exactly what I needed to get out of it and more, with ease and playfulness, in about 90 minutes. The book before that was a little more technical. Would've taken me about 12 hours to plow through. I just met my purpose from it in about 4 hours. A third of the time.

If you're struggling with PhotoReading, I will be so bold as to venture the guess it's for one of three reasons: either you didn't complete the instructional material, or you are improperly applying the techniques, or you simply aren't doing it consistently to build your skill level. Pete Bissonnette gave us a recommendation as new photoreaders: do the photoreading step on 10 books a day for the next 3 months, and activate 1 book a week. Even if you just did the photoreading step on 5 books a day and activated 1 a week, if you do that consistently for 3 months and you are doing the steps properly in sequence, I guarantee by the end of that 3 months you will be a FAR more efficient reader.

Go get yourself to a seminar if you haven't already been, and if you're struggling with this material, keep plugging away and I encourage you to first make sure your technique is dialed in, and then second, USE IT EVERY DAY. Do that for 3 months and then tell us what happens. Your life will change.

One other thing that could be holding back PR students - especially those with the home study program - is that we don't trust the ease of PhotoReading. It just works.

However if I choose to struggle with it, break out in a sweat Trying to get it, I may not be aware that it works.

As a home study course and now live class grad, I join conejo23 in his recommendations with the added suggestion that we not try so hard, that we all simply allow our body/minds to do what they already know how to do so efficiently and proficiently.

If that sounds all woo-woo to you - let that go, too, and just PhotoRead!

Great class - amazing fellow students - LSC knocks it out of the park.

OP Offline

Nan E.....great perspective. I think one of the reasons I got so much out of this the second time was that the first time, I was 'trying hard' to learn the mechanical steps and I didn't take the playful, relaxed approach truly necessary to get into the accelerated learning state. This time I was already familiar with those so I just got to really relax and enjoy the process.

very cool stuff.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved