Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#78035 04/23/11 08:08 AM
Lindley Offline OP
OP Offline

I have found that I prefer to be a real expert on the Love for No Reason Book as well as the Happy for No Reason Book before undertaking my first workshop. With Happy for No Reason, I was part of an 8 member motivational book group who chose HFNR as their first book. It was a great way to learn the content as well as hear others feedback about parts they liked, parts they struggled with and parts they were using most frequently.

With Love for No Reason, I chose to do it as a "Skype" Book Group with my sister who lives in Texas. We met every week on Skype Video Call to discuss each chapter. Again, it was a great way to review the book a second time after reading it. In addition, I received an immense amount of information from a 'first time' reader, my sister. She did not want to read the book at all. By the time we were finished, she had already set up a LFNR book group with her best friend that lives in Illinois.

For me, the next step to becoming an expert is going back to my school days. I write an exam for myself based on the content of the book. I then produce an answer key for the exam. I wait about one week and then take the exam WITHOUT looking at the book. If I can answer all the questions in the quiz correctly, I am ready to do my first workshop. If I don't, I go back and study a little more.

This is my way of making sure that when someone asks a question in the workshop, I am confident I will know the answer.

I really believe in being congruent with the material I teach so during all of this review, I am living the exercises myself. When I walk in the room to do a workshop, I am 100% confident that I walk my talk.

Hope this helps others!

Last edited by Lindley; 04/23/11 08:10 AM.

Hi Lindley~
I think that is a great way to get into a comfortable space with the material you are teaching! It's so important to own what you are teaching so that you can be present for the participants and not worried about what comes next.

Here's some questions that have come up in my workshops:
What does the brain look like when it's got happiness running through it?
Is it normal that I used my pet as my love object? (During the exercise where you focus on something you love and then just focus on the feeling of love)
Is it better to meditate in the morning or in the evening?
What if I can't think of anything I appreciate about myself? (After I challenged a class to begin a daily self-appreciation routine)

Can't wait to hear about how your classes go, Lindley!

Link Copied to Clipboard