Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#78385 07/08/11 10:59 AM
OP Offline

Hello,

I have been learning the Photoreading system for about two years, off and on, and recently jumped back into it full swing in preparation for going back to college in the fall.

I am using it to read very dense and technical information, and will sometimes Photoread, or syntopically read, several large volumes within a short period.

Afterwards I nearly always feel the same emotions: depressed, confused, and often times, suicidal. I wake up the next morning feeling very "brain dead" so to speak. Are these feelings caused by the brain being overwhelmed? What is the deal?

Keith

Last edited by Keith_Thornton; 07/08/11 11:01 AM.

Ehh, Although PhotoReading never worked for me, I have read enough on forums about similar, One thing's for sure: There can never be such a thing as the brain "being overwhelmed"; I suggest that well, Check up a program called Brain Wave Generator and play the concentration brainwaves, They are Beta ones which are going to help you concentrate. Also check up a brainwave recording called BrainFlex V2.
One Question: Did PhotoReading EVER work for you?

OP Offline

Well, I would disagree with you that the brain can never be overwhelmed. It is an accepted fact in the fields of medicine and psychology that the mind can only handle so much stress, and if it crosses a certain level it can be severely affected. There are many disorders to prove this, PTSD being one of the most widespread. The brain, if pushed too hard, too fast, can snap very easily.

I pushed my mind way too hard the other day with regard to my original post. When I got home I had a feeling of intense pressure in my mind, and I could not even formulate basic thoughts. My cognitive and perceptive abilities were severely impaired, and I more or less just stayed in my room with the light off for a long time, with a very painful feeling in my head. It is interesting, though. After taking a break for a while (the pressure is slowly subsiding) the mind seems to be digesting the information I force fed it the other day. Obviously this is happening at a preconscious level, but I catch glimpses of it every now and again. I feel I am starting to put the huge mountain of information together.

With regard to brain-wave generators and binaural beats, I'm working with a program called Holosync right now. It's pretty effective/

Hi,
Sorry for my bad English.
I had the same experience before, although PR never work for me. But the ideas of "purpose", "only pick up important sentences", "mind-mapping", "trigger words" are good for me, I use them to speed up around 3~4 times with more overall understanding compare to normal reading.

I could understand your feeling, that is more like the brain is blank, overloading, could not read anymore, like a sponge with full water.
The reason , as my experience are :
1. Too much dense information , so I want to know everything while I am reading it.
2. I try to load everything to my brain in a short time(before that, I think I could finish it in 3 hours, but the result is more than 5 hours, so I have much pressure in my mind and brain) So finally I lose my way, I forget what should I read, I forget to refocus the purpose, I forget to ask a question. Did you ever lose your way? At that time I feel I don't know what should I read, I just read, so finally I am back to the normal reading with insufficient time. And in the end my brain is blank, overloaded.

So my solution is that : every time when I lose my way, I just flip the page back to the catalog, to check out where the lighthouse is. Or you could simply look back to the trigger word list.
And one more thing is that: You should have a main structure in your mind while reading. So that you can always know where you are, like the real map, then you'll never lose your way. The reason that you could not formulate the basic thoughts is because you could not link the chapter/book to the ideas(memories), because you have no map in your mind. The suggestion in the PR program is to draw a mind-mapping. But to me, personally that suggestion doesn't work. I still lose my way because I'd put all my memory to that sheet, but not my brain.
If you want to find something easily in your room, then before that, you should sort out every thing in your room. If the room is mess, than you could not find(link) the thing you want in a short time.
As you said "I feel I am starting to put the huge mountain of information together." If your room is mess, then you will feel much stuffs in your room. But if you sort out them, you will find the huge different. I think you could gain the real experience from the real world smile ->order your real room first.
The "room theory" could be find everywhere in memory-training books. I just link the "real mind-mapping" to that idea.
Not very detail, but at least you should have a main branches in your mind. And you could put the detail in the mind-mapping.

My personal experiences and thoughts.
LT

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

Keith, You talk about "dense material". That description alone of what you think of the text you are working with would be a trigger for depression. Rather than calling the material dense try challenging, interesting, new, eye opening. (it may not be that yet but it can be).

I think you would have a similar problem no matter how you approach your reading if you feel the material is dense. I agree brain overwhelm is one of the things that lead to depression.

Which is why it pays to organise your thinking and reading. Consider shorter blocks of time spaced with some light reading. Comics perhaps.

Allow it to incubate. While you can PhotoRead and activate almost immediately for text that you find new, that takes a lot of thinking to learn I suggest PhotoReading it daily for a week or more without activating it. See how you go with that.

Above all change the self talk. If you expect the text to be hard, difficult, overwhelming or dense. It will match your expectations. If you can think of it as fun, now I get it, interesting, curious then again you'll find it matches your expectation.

Relax, be playful with it. Apply the beginner mind. Be like an explorer then the text need not overwhelm you.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved