Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#78460 07/30/11 06:21 PM
OP Offline

I have always enjoyed doing my active exercises outdoors. I usually exercise from 6 AM-7 AM with NEVER an insect bite. However, we have a recent problem developing down here in our region. The Asian Tiger mosquito and the one that carries Yellow Fever has infested the area. The Health Department has posted an advisory. Apparently these guys like to dine at any hour of the day.

Two days ago I got my first bites and have moved indoors until we get a frost. I am avoiding the use of insect repellents, especially the little fan that hooks to your belt because I am doing deep breathing and I am concerned about the toxins.

Is anyone else dealing with this? Does anyone have any thoughts on the risk /reward ratio of outdoors with repellent vs indoors and no repellent?

Thanks,
D

I dislike the idea of insect repellant myself. If you shouldn't eat it, you shouldn't put it on your skin. Try doing the exercises indoors, while imagining you are outdoors. (It'll be quite effective, especially since you have to use your mind to 'create' or sense the Qi of sun, clouds, sky, earth, etc--and you will in that sense be connecting with them) Then take a 30 min walk, while doing Qi Gong breathing. This will give you extra balance in your exercises and you'll still get the qi exchange with the outside. Since you are moving while walking, insects shouldn't have time to be able to land on you.

Just a thought. wink

~Z

OP Offline

Good thought. I have a compromise. I stand in front of a tall window that looks out on my wooded backyard near one of my Japanese maple trees. So far it is working well. I am able to go into the void or bliss rather easily.

D

the thought is good. I think if you want to excercise, no matter outdoors or indorrs it is OK

Cheap rift Platinum
Buy rift Platinum
RIFT Platinum

I remember Master Lin saying at the retreat in 2004, that when there are animals, bugs or bities around - we can send them a message asking them politely to leave us alone during our exercise and that this always worked for him. I agree with others that while exercising outside is best, inside is better (on the ratio of good, better, best).
J

JETAY #78518 08/18/11 03:38 AM
OP Offline

I normally agree about the message to the insects. However, since I am recovering from some pretty massive heart attacks this year I have folks who are over protective. Back in March I could barely stand to do the 7 steps w/o nearly falling over with each step. Today I am much stronger. Personally I prefer the outdoors near my zen garden. Now that my energy has improved I will soon return to the outdoor setting. I feel the urge to stand near my maple tree.
Earlier in the summer our health department posted a warning about an infestation of dangerous mosquitoes. I only got bitten once but that was enough to raise some concern from family members. I was surprised that I even got one bite but maybe I was sending enough energy.
D

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved