Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2

I got the program two days ago and I think it is amazing! It seems like it is built on really solid science.
I am on CD3 and I can see the Blip Page! I am very excited. I can not hold on to it yet, but I am sure that with some practice I will be able to do that. I have so many books I want to read and now, like Leo before me, I might even pass the licensing exam I have been putting off for the last 11 years!
Well, I guess you can tell I am excited,
Anna

Hello Alex,
I have been photoreading now for about 3 weeks and something is just not clicking. As far as I know I am doing all the steps and even the photoreading step itself is going all right, but when it comes to activating, nothing about the text seems familiar at all. Shouldn't it? So, I end up just reading it, like I have never seen it before. That doesn't sound right. So, I am clearly not doing something right but I don't know what. Maybe it is just practice. i don't know. Any suggestions?
Anna

Learning Strategies Admin

If you're stuck with activating there are usually 2 problems.

One a lack of a real purpose. If you haven't got a purpose you don't intend to activate.

Second problem is you're quitting too soon. Mind map, build in layers. Use the 5 day test from the book.

The sense of familiarity is different for everyone. I wouldn't struggle to get that. It's too weak in most people. School taught either / or, yes/no, Never taught anyone to tap into that sense that goes, hummm I think I know where this is heading.

Instead, keep activating for your purpose and notice what you notice. You'll learn what that sense of familiarity (hummm, I think I know where this is heading) seems like for you.

Alex

Thank you for this, Alex. I think you are absolutely right and I have to say, this is where I get into trouble because I have a very hard time formulating a purpose. I can only come up with vague ones, like I really want to understand what is in this book, which is really ridiculous. So, you are right!
I don't think I even got the previewing down, because it does not help me with coming up with a more specific purpose. Do you have any ideas for me?
Anna

Me too having difficulties in formulating a right purpose,a lot of us do.Perhaps Alex could help us with this problem,If we chose the book "Natural-Brilliance",can you tell us the appropriate purpose for photoreading this kind of books?

You have to formulate a purpose appropriate to your needs and situation. It has to be personal. If you look in some previous message threads, you can find examples of formulating specific purposes. Alex helped me do one but I had to come up with the initial purpose for reading the book I was reading. Why would YOU want to read the book Natural Brilliance? What would it help YOU with in YOUR life? What would YOU want to get out of it?

The PhotoReading book does talk about purpose. Paul offers some suggestions in the book.

I like to think and imagine into the future, What can I see myself doing with this information? How will it help me? Who can I help with this information.? What kind of difference can it make in my life? If it's a subject I've already read about or researched, the purpose usually is along the lines of how will it help my career, my work or life? or WIIFM (what's in it for me? an old one but a good one).

So If I see myself doing something with the information my purpose becomes, I'm learning about x to improve y in my life, to solve y problem or similar. If it could somehow help me I my purpose becomes, I'm reading X so that I can find out if y can be applied to my life so that I can improve that aspect of my life.

Who can I help, Makes it easy to define my purpose. I'm reading this so that I can help *friend* (usually I get an idea how after PhotoReading the book and refine my purpose accordingly.)

For books I don't know if I have a purpose for, which may have been recommended or the title just intrigues me. I PhotoReading with the purpose of finding out WIIFM So that I can decide if I want or need to activate the book later.

You know you've got a purpose when you can add, "so that I can...."

It's not a purpose if it is in the form of a question. The problem with starting using a question as your purpose, you usually have one question and only need one answer, When you have an answer to a question (right or wrong) you're done with the question.

Questions as I just explained should be used to help find your direction.

A purpose is like going into a mall and deciding you want to buy something without a clue what to buy and then start exploring just to see where you can spend your money. You might as well just give it to the first store keeper. Usually people have favourite stores and their purpose is to see if they have anything new for them.

I'm sure there are a few who are Christmas shopping without a clue what to buy. Even so you usually have a purpose, to find a gift for someone you have in mind.

A purpose explains why you are doing something.

In the beginning it takes more time to define our purpose. With experience it becomes natural as reading a novel because you want to know who done it or what happens next. (that's a perfectly acceptable purpose. You can tell because you can finish the statement with "so that I know who done it, so that I know what happened to the hero of the story").

Alex

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved