Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Jeabp Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi
I have photo read a lot of books during the last 10 years but not activated them. It has mostly been very technical books because the non technical books were so easy to read normally.
I however want to get back to university now, so I've decided to give the whole system a try.

I have some questions:
1) affirmations - is it really necessary I feel like its implicit in my purpose. "of cause I want this information, why else would I open the book"?
2) chanting - do I have to because its easy enough for me to just let my mind go blank?
3) super reading and dipping - I have played around with it this week but I don't know if I'm doing it the most efficient way. I PR'd a book and activated it yesterday. When I go through a book, I sense when something is important. Then I read until it feels unimportant and then I turn the pages until something strikes me as interesting again. This book yesterday (300 pages) it took be 1,5 hour for one pass but after that time I felt like I had gotten the information I wanted (it was a very easy book on a subject I was somewhat familiar with). Is it better to go through it 3-4 times and not read half a page - one page at a time like it is suggested in the photo reading book?
4) getting into state - the photo reading book has a whole process with counting and thinking of flowers and other things. I don't do that anymore, I imagine myself lying under a tree where I can see the birds flying between the leaves, and feel the grass with my hands. If I imagine this I automatically relax, and then I open my eyes, remind my self of my purpose and photo read. Is this an OK way to get into state, bypassing the counting?

Playing with it the last two days, it is working for me. I was just wondering if I should improve on the process?

Learning Strategies Admin

1- Purpose more than affirmations. Affirmations don't knock them, if you're studying there are times when your mind wants to be somewhere else. And the wanting information isn't as important as the not wanting the information at the same time. Like wanting to catch the waves on the surf today rather than hitting the books. Internally the priority is you don't want the information out of this book. - when studying it's even more important to create positive triggers.

2- mind going blank can also be a mind that has wandered off. The chant is to remind the conscious mind of it's place. It doesn't have to be the chant in the book. I prefer to chant my purpose for the particular book.

3 - Dipping too long. Leave before fully satisfied. Spending too long in one activation layer. Smaller blocks of time is more. 1.5 hours meant you never checked that you were activating on purpose. By stopping and checking your purpose say every 20 minutes you can refine your questions check you are on target and probably finish sooner. Especially on a book that you are already somewhat familiar with. It's probable you could have been finished in 20 minutes by having a clear purpose.

4- Yes you may use whatever technique you want to get into an ideal state. I recommend that you affirm your intent.

Alex

you photoread 10 years and no success ??

dymait

PhotoRead but not activated. Means they didn't apply all the steps.

Alex

Jeabp Offline OP
OP Offline

Alex thanks for the reply.
so I should say affirmations if I feel somewhat distracted, but if I feel committed, I don't have to?

Dymait - I have had success: if I PR'ed a book before a class, I could understand the lecture better. If I photo read the book before I normally read it, I understood it better and I could skim it faster then I normally would. If I got a non fiction and not textbook book, I tend to be too impatient to PR it and wait a day, so I just read it normally right away. If its a textbook, the task of activation was just to large. Every time I was thinking, maybe I should try the 5 day test to practice activation, I always got stopped by having no books in the 200-300 page range, I had not previously read.

aha and have you spontane activasion too. cool

Last edited by Dymait; 07/13/12 04:53 PM.

Jeabp, the affirm step takes about 10 seconds to implement. I The benefits are greater than skipping it and finding out you need to do over because your intention wasn't set.

You don't have to leave it overnight. PhotoReading the textbook daily for a week or two before you start classes, no need to PhotoReading again before activating.

Activate the chapters. Chunk it, you never have to do the textbook in one sitting you're usually required to do chapters Focus on the chapter that you would normally read, yet apply superreading and dipping, first time through, then skitter second time through and then rapid read if you still feel you're not done. Start by looking at the chapter summary and if the chapter has self test questions look over those questions first. Get a sense which ones feel familiar, you know the answers to and which ones you don't make sense. Start with the difficult but go lightly, you may not get them and don't have to get them during the first activation. Glance over the easier ones to just verify how right you are. Don't get sucked into details if you are right.

5 day test for textbooks. Think and work in chapters. Consider each chapter as a book in itself. A 40 page chapter is probably equal to a 200 page book in terms of knowledge you want to be aware of. Considering textbooks take longer to read, give yourself a break and do enough activation layers before resorting to Rapid Reading.

If you find yourself jumping into rapid reading without doing some Superreading and dipping / skittering. Your purpose is poor and you risk forgetting important points when it comes to the crunch. Your purpose helps to anchor ideas and information onto your own personal memory web.

Alex

Jeabp Offline OP
OP Offline

Alex thanks for the explanations.
OK I will try to remember affirmations then. Does it matter which language I do affirmations in, as long as I understand the intend? (affirmations in english - native language danish).

5 day test on textbooks: I wish I had known this years ago. All I have seen until now is "Don't start on textbooks" but textbooks are all I have!, so when you say its OK to do the 5 day test on a chapter, this makes me very exited and happy. A chapter is not unrealistic to activate. A 1000 page book is.

Dymait - unforturnatly I have not had any spontaneous activasions. I have had experience with direct learning though, where I tried to improve my cooking skills, and that worked great.

I'd do the affirmations in my own language. They don't have to be the affirmations exactly as taught in the cause. The intent is important. So affirming that, I'm PhotoReading this book so that I can answer all the questions in the exam with ease. Is probably more powerful to the experience PhotoReader than, All that I PhotoRead will have the impact I desire.

Once you learned the system go ahead and work with textbooks. It's not a good place to start. But if you've experienced Superreading and dipping, skittering etc, then you're ready enough. Play with it. You know what experiences you're looking for with textbooks. Just don't start with textbooks relating to school work or formal learning until you've gained some experience with the system.

It's just no good learning on textbooks because they take more effort to read in the first place and the beginner won't make allowances for the fact that a 500 page (50 hour) textbook may take 2 or more hours of activation before you even feel like getting it. The more experienced PhotoReader will notice that they are getting something within the first 20 minutes. In this world of instant gratification, we want to see results straight away. That is easier to see on a book that would take the average reader about 8 to 12 hours. That's why we start with non-fiction books of about 200 pages. Do 3 or 4 of them and you're ready to play with books relating to school work.

Quote:
A chapter is not unrealistic to activate. A 1000 page book is.

... In one sitting. You may not need the full 5 days on one chapter (about 2 hours)

BTW you don't need to do the 5 day test over 5 days. You can do it in one morning. The important thing to remember is to take those breaks that represent the day. Leave at least 5 minutes between day 1-2-3 At least 20 minutes between 3-4 and 5 minutes between 4-5 & 6 if you decide you need more. At that point I'd definitely consider giving it a much longer break say overnight.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved