Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#80103 07/31/12 05:00 AM
OP Offline

I use to be a very avid photoreader, in fact I used it to quickly and easily absorb loads of information. However within the past few months or so I have gotten to a mental block that I could use advice on. I have gotten to the point where I really do not want to pick up a book anymore. I'm about to finish my bachelor degree and have a little left on my Masers, I really need to find a way around this in my mind. I am hoping someone could offer me some advice or encouragement to get me back to being a happy photoreader once again.

I'll give you a perfect example.

Right now I am taking my 7 minute break after a 20 minute study session. The material is dry, boring, and I don't have the slightest bit of interest in it; I have to have this material memorized however so I can pass the Analyzing and interpretering literature clep exam so I can graduate college early and save a couple of thousand of dollars in the process. I am literally thinking to myself how I am dreading my break being over and I have to go back to studying something that i'm going to dump out of my memory the second I pass the clep exam.

DJ

Last edited by diablo69er; 07/31/12 05:00 AM.
diablo69er #80110 07/31/12 11:16 AM
Learning Strategies Admin

I think you need to rethink how you view the material, "Dry an boring" is going to prevent you from getting into the material. I suggest you use a Paraliminal like Personal Genius if you have it.

Since your current self talk isn't helping I suggest you try this.

Do what you can to build trigger words. Think along the terms of, if I were to explain this to my friend who doesn't know anything about the subject what would I tell him? How could it be interesting? What would it take to get this interesting information that would help me to pass the exam to my conscious mind faster? If there was something about this book / subject what is it? How does having a knowledge of this subject help my long term goal? I am studying this for a career of some sort so how can I see myself using what I learned?

Also so you have a nice nature sound music CD? With or without entrainment. Something you can play in the background that allows you to relax a little? You might even start by sitting back and listening to Chariots of Fire with your eyes closed and then read the questions again. And then consider your purpose for the book. What do you still need to uncover to get this done?

Let me know how you go.
Alex

Alex K. Viefhaus #80118 08/01/12 06:15 AM
OP Offline

Hey Alex,

I really appreciate the great advice. I more or less did what you recommended; I am sadly unable to locate my paraliminals though frown.

In hope that it benefits others I told my self that when I wake up I will have the burning desire to want to work on homework and study for this exam. I repeated this to my self in my mind as I fell asleep. I woke up and I was ready to tackle all this homework.

Thanks again for taking the time out of your hectic schedule to set me back on track.

DJ

diablo69er #80119 08/01/12 08:52 AM

Quote:
I am sadly unable to locate my paraliminals though

Ouch, that's inconvenient.

Excellent tip. It does require repetition and it's important to note that you focused in the direction you wanted to go, kept it positive. Good on you.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved