Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Karim Offline OP
OP Offline

I usually listen to The Fourth Path Paraliminal from the Abundance For Life course before doing my active exercise session first thing in the morning.

Listening to The Fourth Path Paraliminal energizes me enough to do my active exercise session with ease.

Sometimes, I am so exhausted, just one session with The Fourth Path Paraliminal isn't enough, and I end up missing my morning active exercise session as a result.

I would like to know if there is any harm in taking a pain killer before doing my morning active exercise session under such conditions to ensure consistency in my practice.

Thank you.

Master Lin said to not take any drugs or alcohol before practicing. I suggest 24 hours before to stop the drug. Could you practice at another time when it's not so paiful for you? I was on antibiotics and I had to wait until I finished them before I could start practicing again. As in all meditation, no drugs or aclochol. Active exercises are a standing meditation. For my pain..I take MSM which is a natural substance that I buy at Vitamin Shoppe.

Last edited by Mayflowers; 01/01/13 02:51 PM.

Well... Many substances in our era are available for modifying behavior and thinking, (as well as many that have existed for aeons)

In any event, I would suggest, take your med, and start your meditation/exercise. Allow your energy to flow, and (if you have a fast metabolism and it kicks in while you are still practicing) take note of the feelings and sensations that arise. Knowing it's the meds (combining with your state) keep flowing and finish as you normally would. If you have "wonderful states" that arise (like euphoria or bliss) don't assume it's "just" the meds...sometimes Spirit shows up symbolically and you may be surprised.

However, as one who has taken many substances in various states in the name of experimentation,(not so much anymore, "been there, done that" and "just to see" were part of my motives) I have come across some interesting results and will relay them here for information purposes.

Disclaimer: Of course, I have never "officially" taken any SFQ classes,(one of these days I'll make an appearance at a retreat) nor do I claim to be of "Masterful" status, but I do have a powerful connection with Source, and can symbolically give viewpoints to assist others. As always, take this info 'as is'

However, I can tell you thus:

Due to the symbolic nature of the holographic energy field of the physical dimension (or "the Universe"), nobody should ever, EVER make fun of or put anyone down for "putting things into the body"--even if they are "spiritually advanced" (if such a phrase really existed) Yes, the body is energy, and so is a drug as well as the physiological and psychological effects--are also energy. But sometimes people need something symbolic and 'external' to assist in their healing.

Of course, any meditation is priority over substances, and you do not limit yourself (unless you feel that "need" the substance or you can't meditate 'at all'). So mindfulness is key.

Keeping that in mind, the effects of the drug (energy) may distract or give illusory states that "there is no problem" or unable to feel the deeper aspects of the mind. Usually, distraction or too much mental stimulus can keep one from achieving optimal results.

Here's a basic rundown on substances:
Typically alcohol should be avoided for obvious reasons.

Pain killers, it *can be* a double-edged sword. Aside from the physical side-effects (such as 'the stomach thing' people get when they take vicodin) there's some energy effects to be aware of. Mainly, it dulls the nerves in the sense that when you 'tune into yourself' (or go into the Emptiness) it seems like you don't "feel" as much. ...or I should say, when you would 'normally feel an energy blockage' (which isn't normal, of course) you might not feel it so much, or it may not be 'as obvious' as if you didn't take anything. (Sometimes it's been the other way around, where I was in so much pain that after I took a painkiller, I was finally calm enough to feel where the blockage was and clear it. Like I said, can be two-sided)

Of the p'killers, I've had most experience with Tramadol/Ultram, these can actually aid your meditation in a sense (you get energized and want to practice) but for 3-4 days after not taking any, you're motivation crashes a bit. (which can tempt you into going into a cycle of not wanting to practice)

Stimulants like caffeine cause over-stimulation. Some stimulants have different effects; for instance, I take adderall for ADHD (scattered thinking)...and if I don't meditate and I have an "up" day, the adderall can actually "cause" more scattered-ness, so I need to spend extra time condensing my thoughts to a single point.

Though I will mention that the first time I took adderall and meditated for a few hours my crown opened and the room exploded into a quiet, INFINITE white light that was beyond worlds. I knew the drug would help my focus(and I brought that intention into my meditation), but that experience exceeded any expectation I could've ever had(it also exceeded any mortal experience, save for a few). But it just goes to show that intention overcomes all, and an example that something 'external' and 'symbolic' such as a pill can be beneficial.

Hallucinogens, well...that's a little "advanced" to be described here, but I'll mention it anyways. Many spiritual seekers opt to take some form of hallucinogen to experience "the Divine" and then drop the substance in order to gain that experience from natural 'forms' (such as meditation).

Salvia Divinorum (used to be legal and you could buy it at 'head-shops') You can't even meditate on this. It meditates on YOU. You ARE the very fabric of reality and your experience of life is completely shattered and restored within a short period of time. Very enlightening stuff. It definitely gives you an experience of one-ness. Interestingly, it also melts away psychological problems that have been bothering you. (there's research in Norway on this) It's unfortunate that something such as this very special herb (that has been used in rituals for thousands of years) was recently made illegal by people that don't even know what it is or what it does....perhaps someday people will be responsible enough to handle it. It literally opens the door to other dimensions and it was put on this world for a reason.

Marijuana (a low-level hallucinogen) can provide interesting meditations, but it should never be a 'substitute' and can aid in producing some very nice mental states. (but for the most part, causes distractions)

Hope that gives you some insight on the 'drug-scene' and meditation/exercise.

~Z

Last edited by Zakyrus; 01/05/13 06:39 AM.

I took Level 1 SFQG and I'm just stating what Master Lin said on the CD. Unless Shawn who's been to a lot of SFQG retreats as other recommendations, then you shouldn't be saying its ok to practice while under the influence of drugs. And you know he means Rx drugs like pain killers..

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved