Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#7930 04/14/05 11:20 PM
OP Offline

Has anyone taken any of the paraliminals and converted them to either mp3, mp4 (aac), or one of the "lossless" codecs? I'm wondering if anything is lost in the process. Perhaps someone with equipment/software that can compare the raw .aiff or .wav file with compressed files?

I've decided that rather than carry my CDs around with me when I travel (now that I have a number of them), I'd like to have them on my iPod. For now I've been just copying them over in .wav format, so they're basically the same as on the CD - including rather large file sizes. This works okay, but I'm now taking up a lot of my iPod space just for this, so I'd like to consider using a different format - but I don't want to lose any of the effect.

The folks at Centerpointe said that for their stuff any compression (including "lossless") would degrade the effects of the technology, even at high bitrates. While I understand that's possible, I'm also aware that could be the official line meant to reduce the likelihood of pirating.

If it's true though, then fine -- I'm most interested in making sure the effectiveness isn't reduced. But if I can do that and have full portability using my iPod, so much the better.

So, anyone done any real (as in actually measuring the various soundwaves) audio format comparisons with these?

#7931 04/15/05 02:46 PM
Learning Strategies Admin

Converting to MP3 will always result in some loss.

Feedback I've had is that you need to use a higher bitrate than 128. 198 or 256 is going to serve you better. 256 is not accepted by CD players but since it's for the iPod it should be fine. Use VBR rather than AVR and definately avoid CVR when compressing.

The Holosync entrainment is to help you to relax into the listening session easier. The dual voices on the Paraliminal will be perfectly fine. If you keep it to a higher bitrate than 128 (the usual compression) you'll preserve much of the Holosync entrainment and the Paraliminals should work
just fine. They may still use more memory than a presentation or music MP3 but should be less than a wav file.

Alex

#7932 04/17/05 01:18 AM
OP Offline

Thanks Alex. Since I don't mind larger file sizes, and don't need it to play on a CD player, I'll fiddle around with high bitrates and VBR, etc. I also understand that I'll have to make sure it's not using joint stereo in the encoding process. I may also give Apple Lossless a try -- the files are bigger than mp3 or mp4, but still a lot smaller than .wav or .aiff.

#7933 05/02/05 12:45 AM

I contacted Centerpointe on this issue since I have owned their meditation course for a number of years. I have my course loaded onto my iPod as a default AAC format, which is fine according to Centrepointe, which I contacted directly. The best format to load Holosync encripted files is WAV. I believe the Centerpointe website has more information on this (www.centerpointe.com). Good luck!

#7934 05/02/05 08:46 AM

The Holosync soundtrack on the Paraliminals has no relationship to the Holosync levels. They are alpha to theta entrainment. Paraliminals worked just fine without the Holosync entrainment.

I don't recommend compressing Paraliminals like ordinary music you'll lose the hum of the entrainment. At a 198 bitrate it's still there. Look to preserve as much of the CD quality and you'll still have smaller files than a wav.

I know I wouldn't want the 22 CDs in wave format on an Ipod when the idea of using an Ipod is to be able to carry more audios with you.

Alex

#7935 05/02/05 04:04 PM
OP Offline

I ended up doing all of my paraliminals as 320kbit mp3 variable bit rate, and "normal" stereo (as opposed to "joint" stereo). My Holosync soundtracks I did as uncompressed wav files (since I only need two of them available for a period of time, the space isn't a big deal).

So far, so good.

Thanks for your suggestions!

#7936 05/05/05 10:07 PM

Hi,

I'm abit confused with all the terminology used here.
I guess I just assumed it would be ok to just put the cds on my ipod.
I have no idea how to "use a higher
bitrate" or "as a default AAC format" or even "WAV"
As in, I am TOTALLY lost here!!

I tried to figure out what format my music is being uploaded and I had no joy there.

Would you be so kind as to explain how to:
do the "320kbit mp3 variable bit rate, and "normal" stereo (as opposed to "joint" stereo)" SineMacula refered to and how to save as "uncompressed wav files"
as well.

I have had the Holosync cds for about 6 weeks and uploaded them to my iPod without thinking to check if it was ok to do so.
I'd appreciate any help with this.

Many thanks

#7937 05/06/05 12:30 AM
OP Offline

Are you using iTunes to get the tracks from the CDs to the iPod?

If so, in the iTunes preferences, under "Importing" you can set the format, bitrate, etc.:

"Import using..." - this allows you to set the encoder, which leads to the file type (mp3, AAC, wav, aiff, Apple Losssless)

"Setting..." - choose "Custom" -- another window will open allowing you to set things like bitrate, etc. - the options will depend on the enoder you choose (e.g with mp3 you can set bitrate, variable, quality, sample rate, channels, stereo mode, smart encoding, and filtering low frequencies -- with AAC you can only set bitrate, sample rate and channels)

Basically, the lower the bitrate, sample rate, etc. the smaller the file. However, it also means less quality, and the potential for some of the high end or low end content to be lost, since the small file is acheived by compressing the data.

I've been told by Centerpointe to use .wav or .aiff to ensure that I don't lose anything - these are uncompressed formats, therefore full quality, and large size.

For the paraliminals, I've chosen mp3 with the following settings:
Stereo bit rate = 320kbps
Use Variable Bit Rate Encoding (Yes)
Quality = Highest
Sample Rate = 44.100 kHz
Channels = Stereo
Stereo Mode = Normal (this one is really important!! don't do "joint stereo")
Smart Encoding Adjustments (no)
Filter Frequencies Below 10 Hz (no)

I can't say that's the optimal setting, but it seems to be working for me. You might be able to set the bitrate and sample rate lower and get smaller files without losing quality, but I chose to set both high just to be sure.

Also, these instructions are based on iTunes on a Mac. I don't have access to a Windows machine, so I can't tell you if it is exactly the same there - but it should be similar.

#7938 05/06/05 12:33 AM
OP Offline

Oh, I should probably have mentioned, for the Holosync stuff, I did use .wav encoding, and just left all the other settings at "Automatic". So, about half an hour of Holosync ends up being about 300MB compared to closer to 50MB for half an hour of mp3 encoded paraliminals.

#7939 05/09/05 09:02 PM

Hi SIne,
Thank you SOO much for the VERY detailed explanations.
I had already uploaded about half the library on my iPod before reading this thread and had to start again.
Yes I use iTunes and the menu is the saame on a Windows PC so I had no trouble changing it at all (thanks to the thorough explanation :O)
Now I'm all set to go
Thanks again

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved