Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hi!

Is this a good idea to make mindmap based on table of contents before photoreading?

Last edited by shivaprem; 02/05/13 05:47 PM.

i have done a few experiments ,im no expert.If you photoread a book with a structure in your mind,its not very useful.Its better to understand and structure as per your frame of reference.Thats why its better to mind map after applying all activation technique.You internalise the concepts as per your understanding.If you mindmap earlier on your brain tries to stick to the structure.Well as i said im no expert ,i believe this !!!Cherio!!!

Learning Strategies Admin

I find it a waste of time. The TOC is listed in the front of a book, all you're really doing is copying it.

Mind map according to your purpose.

You can mind map as you go. I prefer to put my pen down while activating to avoid over writing onto the mind map. If I haven't made any marks on the mind map during the activation period I do them in the last 3 to 5 minutes.

It is a personal preference whether you mind map after activating but the brain has to forget quickly to make room for new information at a primary conscious level so if the activation layer is as long as 20 minutes, you probably prefer to mind map as you go.

Alex

OP Offline

Alex, thank you!

one more question

what do you mean by this lines

the brain has to forget quickly to make room for new information at a primary conscious level

The conscious mind can only hold 7 plus or minus 2 bits of information a second. That's why few people memorise phone numbers longer than 9 digits.

So if you're activating you have your mind probing question and purpose, and you find answers an part there of. You cannot hold any more until you put some down.

It's just like you cannot remember the first sentence of this post if you're currently reading this one. Any more than I now remember what I wrote because I need my conscious mind to focus in the next 5 to 9 words I intend to write. If I'm still remembering the previous set of works I cannot write or focus on the next set. It's the natural working of the mind.

That's why if you don't do something to serve as a reminder, you've forgotten you need to by the milk as soon as you picked up your keys and walked out the door. So you anchor the memory to your keys then you can allow yourself to forget because now you have a reminder, trigger or memory peg for buying the milk.

That's why mind mapping is so useful. If you don't do something to anchor your intention to remember. You will forget and forget faster than you'd like to believe.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved