Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hi,

Just wondering how long it generally takes to notice a new behaviour actually taking effect.

Also, I'm wondering how vague or specific I can be with what my goal is and what I do to prevent myself from achieving the goal.

Real example: I am currently listening to NBG with the goal of being peaceful and calm. What I use as my prevention is that I allow myself to become angry very often. I feel that this may not be specific enough though, yet I can't honestly think of anything more specific.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Learning Strategies Admin

Depends on the goal. Sometimes you notice the changes within a day or so other times other people notice the change in you long before you do.

Know your goal, That's important. Not understanding what you do or do not do that prevents you from having your goal might be vague. Half the time if we really knew what we did that stops us we'd solve the problem there and then without a Paraliminl.

Don't focus on being angry when listening to the New Behaviour Generator. Do get clear on what being peaceful calm and collected is for you. And then you might like to consider a switch, what to do when you do get angry. I don't know if you're familiar with Fonzie from Happy Days. Whenever he got angry he pulled himself to a stop and then did a release thing and said, "I'm cool. I'm cool."

Thing is he got angry but didn't let the anger take control of his actions for too long.

Alex

OP Offline

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your reply. Forgive me for not being totally clear on your answers and I'm also wondering if I phrased parts of my original question correctly.
For clarification, when listening to NBG, when Paul asks what my goal is, my answer is "to be peaceful and calm". My answer to the question of what I do to prevent myself from reaching my goal is "I allow myself to become angry". I don't get angry while listening. I got the impression that you read it as I got angry during listening. If I'm wrong about that, sorry.

When I state my goal, I mean it as that is what I would like my general personality to be. I would like to eradicate anger from my life, barring only situations where it would be helpful - (I'm sure it must be helpful for dire circumstances at some point).

I like the Fonzie example. I never would have even thought about that if you hadn't brought it up.

In real life, I find that I am easily annoyed and short tempered much of the time. I am the exact opposite of what I want to be like. I have a child that really pushes my buttons and I snap quite often. This is something I need to stop. Patience is the best alternative in my opinion.

OK, I'm rambling now, so I'll end it now.

Thanks for reading.

Rob

[This message has been edited by InternationalRobbie (edited May 13, 2005).]

Rob, No I didn't mean that you get angry while listening. I meant that you have to stop thinking about your answer to Pauls question while listening to the Paraliminal. Keep your focus on what you want.

Being patient with someone who pushes your buttons is different to being calm and peaceful. So you might want to do another listening session for being patient.

Alex

OP Offline

Thank you. I will do that.

Rob

Hi Rob
You wrote:

"I have a child that really pushes my buttons and I snap quite often. This is something I need to stop. Patience is the best alternative in my opinion."

I have a 9 year old girl who loves to push buttons too (mine and other peoples). I wanted to share with you some things that worked for me.

I learned to spot the times when she was pushing my buttons and I would tell myself that

1. it is her job to try to push my buttons
2. she was giving me an opportunity to grow by pushing my buttons
3. it is my job to find a way to side step her pushing my buttons

I found that once I could itentify that she was pushing my buttons and then percieve it as an opportunity to grow I could treat it like a game we were playing together. Once I treated it like a "game" it took the emotional charge off of it for me and the whole process became kind of fun to see if I could win the game. For me "winning" meant that I could consciously choose my responses to her rather than always be reacting.

Funny thing that happened for me was that as I got better in doing this with her I found I could do it at work and in other places with other people who were trying to push buttons too.

The other thing that happened is that over time as I got better at not getting my buttons pushed...she seemed to enjoy the process less and appeared to stop pushing my buttons as much.

When I read your post I was reminded of myself as a parent and I just wanted to share my experience with you.

Nickie

OP Offline

Hi Nickie,

Thank you for posting that. I appreciate it and as I was reading it, I was thinking how brilliant the way you chose to deal with the situation was. I am going to give that a go. Thanks again for sharing that with me.

Take care,

Rob

What I've done, regarding button-pushing, is to lie as much as possible. My favorite lie is my irrational fear of pickles. That way, when people try to push my buttons, it's hyper-obvious.

Man Kaiden, thats hilarious, and pretty clever actually. That'd be interesting to try out.

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved