Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#82009 07/05/13 11:08 AM
Adarsh Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi There everyone and Alex!!!
Ever since i am working on the 5 day test method on books i have been having interesting experiences thought i will share the same with you all.
Been to a mall in our city---its called City center mall,Mangalore,Karnataka...make it look authentic for people who do not believe...
My wife went around shopping
My daughter went out to play in a Kid playzone...i had 45 mins for myself.

I entered a book mart ---called Reliance Time out.I selected 2 books1)4 discipllines of execution(written by 3 authors---one of them is Sean Covey---must be son of Stephen Covey) and the second book 2)Chanakya's new manifesto
For the first book i prepared and set a purpose: I want to read this book to know the 4 disciplines of execution so that i can apply the ideas in my professional life and make immediate progress in my career"
I previewed and selected around 15 trigger words.(Did not have time to jot them down)
Then i photoread and super read the entire book in 15 mins.I already had some questions propping out after I finished photo reading.
1)what are the 4 disciplines?
2)How does the author explain each discipline?
3)What examples does he use ?
4)What is the most important message in each discipline?
5)What does the author say about goal setting ?how many goals should one follow?

Then I super read the entire book for say 15 mins…
I could get the entire construct of the book…here it is ….the book discusses that we should have WIG(Wildly important Goals) ,we should have a score card to keep score to see whether we are moving in our destination,3 accountability and 4 act on lead measures and then for some reason(probably because it was more pertinent to my purpose) I spent more time on WIG---wildly important goals ,my eyes stuck on a comparison they have given about Nasa’s list of goal and John F Kennedy on his vision to send a man of the moon,this answered a major question for me (Question 5 above) it told me we need to focus maximum on one or 2 goals at a time and be extremely clear!!!
Well more or less I got the entire structure of the book…now that its already more than 12 hrs of incubation I am developing more and more questions…
Mind you I never bought both the books I just experimented what has been said in the forum for many times now!!! I just wanted to see whether it really works and whether I am making progress!!!
The second Book experience was also very interesting
The Book is called “Chanaykya New Manifesto for India” .Well Chanakya was a great scholar and a outstanding administrator and is responsible for creating India’s First emperor.
I prepared and preview the book.My purpose was”To read the book so that I know what is important for my country as on day as per the author and the role I can play and contribute to my country ”
At this point of time ,as a part of preparation,Prepare tell us to ask ourselves “how much time are we willing to spend and how much depth we are willing to go for?”
A question just popped up in my brain….the book is having around 300 to 400 pages so I thought its big for me so with the time limit I thought I will pick up 5 areas the author works on and learn about the 5 aspects in brief!
I photo read the book.I started super reading immediately after that (as I told you all time was a constraint no time for incubation) when I started super reading…at the beginning itself my eyes picked up The following words from the author
”I discuss 5 areas where in India needs to work on “
and I said Whoa where did I pick up the no 5 ,I did not get it the number 5 when I was previewing … was I Photo Sucking or Photo Palming already? it was a very nice feeling cause I found out in the next 10 mins that the Author discusses the state of affairs of our country in 5 areas he calls it:1)Government 2)Democracy 3)Security 4)corruption and 5) He discusses the concepts of equality and altruism …I could get the entire construct of the book.
All of the above experiment I could do in 45 mins…
I am extremely happy.Coz im not saying I have understood everything I read, but im happy I don’t know of any other way of getting the spirit of the book so fast and so rapidly.I developed the following insights about photoreading:
1.Unlike other reading methods the books we have photo reads builds on every activation.Earlier in regular reading even if I have read some books I would have to start all over.But this does not happen in Photo reading…Mind has already constructed the structure of the book and every activation you build more and more comprehension of the book
2.You cant measure benefits of photo reading on a Platform based on Speed or accuracy alone coz the methods are different and benefits of Photo reading are far superior
3.I failed earlier in my activation coz I never really activated the way we are supposed to activate.A session of photo reading has to be followed by 2 to 3 sessions of super reading and dipping from this session we need to develop more and more mind probe questions refine our purposes more and more …this is how we get good at these skills.
The 5 day tests do just that and I am making better progress after I have started doing the 5 day tests seriously!!!I am doing 1 book at a time and some times I use the day 2 ,3 and day 4 on the same day with breaks in between.
4)On activating the book “Tipping Point” I realized that all non fiction books follow a pattern i.e they introduce their main idea ,they define each idea in the following chapters and provide relevant proofs or cases or example to explain their messages.So the more we activate ,the easier it gets to activate non fiction books!!!!
5)I used this while photo reading “Tipping point” I mind mapped after each super reading session like you told us to Alex.Somehow even though we don’t understand this by jotting words on the map we understand the text better each time.Just jotting the words the very act starts bringing the book together …that’s really cool.During our periods of rest /incubation our mind keeps asking us questions like why does he use this word or example?what is he telling us here?
Just felt happy and I thought I will share this …and I explained the 2 books to my wife and needless to say she was impressed!!!!
Cheerio Bye!!

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

Quote:
3.I failed earlier in my activation coz I never really activated the way we are supposed to activate.A session of photo reading has to be followed by 2 to 3 sessions of super reading and dipping from this session we need to develop more and more mind probe questions refine our purposes more and more …this is how we get good at these skills.
The 5 day tests do just that and I am making better progress after I have started doing the 5 day tests seriously!!!I am doing 1 book at a time and some times I use the day 2 ,3 and day 4 on the same day with breaks in between.

All too often the beginning PhotoReader gives up too soon. It may take 3 or it may take 8 activation layers till the book starts coming together. And the funny thing is until you hit the just about getting it stage you don't feel like you're getting the book. And at that same point the next activation layer is the completion. It seems to come together suddenly.

Not every book is the same do stick with it. If you give up before it gels, you've given up too soon. If you think your comprehension is better and faster with traditional reading notice what you are doing during traditional reading. What are you thinking about as you read the subject. That's what you need to hold onto in the PhotoReading system.

I wish I could agree with you on non-fiction books all tying in nicely after introducing their main idea. I've come across a few where where the PhotoReading system saved me a lot of time.

The more you activate the faster you get through any reading material, not just non-fiction books.

Thanks for sharing.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved