Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#82176 08/05/13 10:00 AM
WinW Offline OP
OP Offline

As i am visual learner and following the chant during photoreading is difficult as my mind begins to wander ever soo often, i have been thinking of using a visual chant i.e. visualizing each syllable of the chant. It still helps me to maintain the rhythmic page turning and my mind wanders off to other thoughts only a few to none times. My only question is that by occupying the visual capacity of the brain during photoreading, will it affect the process of photoreading itself??

Last edited by WinW; 08/05/13 10:04 AM.
WinW #82178 08/05/13 09:06 PM
WinW Offline OP
OP Offline

I am new to the forums but anyone going to bother with this thread. I really want to become a proficient photoreader

WinW #82180 08/06/13 06:33 PM
WinW Offline OP
OP Offline

Alex? Pete? anyone? I could really use some definitive answer to my question so i can go on photoreading!!

WinW #82181 08/06/13 06:34 PM
WinW Offline OP
OP Offline

Alex? Pete? anyone? I could really use some definitive answer to my question so i can go on photoreading!!

WinW #82182 08/06/13 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: WinW
As i am visual learner and following the chant during photoreading is difficult as my mind begins to wander ever soo often, i have been thinking of using a visual chant i.e. visualizing each syllable of the chant. It still helps me to maintain the rhythmic page turning and my mind wanders off to other thoughts only a few to none times. My only question is that by occupying the visual capacity of the brain during photoreading, will it affect the process of photoreading itself??

Curiosity. Why do you want to reinvent the wheel?

WinW Offline OP
OP Offline

First of all thank you for your reply, I was beginning to lose hope. And the answer to your question it not so much reinvention but modifying the process to work even better for me. Like win wenger says we want explorers not followers..

WinW #82185 08/06/13 11:22 PM

Originally Posted By: WinW
First of all thank you for your reply, I was beginning to lose hope. And the answer to your question it not so much reinvention but modifying the process to work even better for me. Like win wenger says we want explorers not followers..

One of us is missing something.

Grossly you are taking Win Wenger out of context.

It's like going to Med School and saying "Im not going to follow that Cancer Protocol because I am an explorer not a follower. I know a better way".

Or getting a McDonald's Franchise (where you are contractually bound to follow procedures precisely) and saying (as you thump your chest) "I am smarter than all the folks in the worlds largest restaurant chain and I will make hamburgers my way. The reason is Win Wenger said to be an explorer not a follower."

I am not mocking you. I am mocking the idea. So many times in my life I thought I had a better way but I did not see the whole picture.

You might have a better way. But learn method "A" before you learn method "B". Than once you've learned "A" do your way, method "B" and you can "A" - "B" them.

Eh?

I still think one of us is not getting the whole point.

WinW Offline OP
OP Offline

I get where you are coming from but the thing is I am not saying I know a better way. Not at all. I am just saying maybe that method will work better for me and wanted to ask someone about the effectiveness of the method I am suggesting.. Whether or not it will adversely affect the process!

WinW #82194 08/08/13 09:46 AM
Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

The mind wandering means you're not chanting. The chant intends to keep the mind busy. Just come back to the chant. You're not the only one with a conscious mind that is happier wandering off when it's not needed. The mind will wander off, just notice and when you do bring your focus back to the chant and page flipping because that reminds you of your intention to be focused on the book for the purpose of PhotoReading it.

If you're using the mind to visualise you're taking away the visual processing the mind needs to do for PhotoReading. That's why you look at the text as you flip pages. Visualising, is the same as letting the mind wander off. It wanders to something visual and starts the internal conversation later. Reading and visual memory sorting is done with the same part of the brain.

If the relax chant doesn't do it for you, chant the alphabet, or say a nursery rhyme, or repeatedly state your purpose, I suppose you could even say a prayer, I've never tried it and can see that working. You will notice all the techniques keep the mind busy by using auditory techniques.

Now for my challenging question to you.

If you think it would work better for you, why don't you try it?

It will either work or it won't.

My view if you do what you describe, you won't be PhotoReading the book any better than when the mind wanders, because you're giving the visual processors permission to wander off to something of a visual nature and you're trying to PhotoRead which is a task that requires visual processing.

Alex

WinW Offline OP
OP Offline

I tried with the visual chant and am having trouble activating a book so then maybe you are right! Thank you for the reply. And with the auditory chant should i chant aloud or internally.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved