Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Learning Strategies Admin

First, your imagination is nice for an ego trip yet how is it practical? Where does one really apply the information from the maths book in life? How does one really use that skill. Therein lies a real purpose.

Getting a writers sense???? What does that mean? As a writer myself I usually write to impart information. If you just want to get a sense, which is similar to a concept of what the writer has to offer, look at the table of content and you're done.

A real purpose looks at how one can apply what they read considering we read to learn. And given how much information is published each year it makes sense to use ones time wisely. Taking too much time to get a concept or sense of what the author has to offer is a waste, consider it your first purpose when you look at a book. You're done with the preview. Once you have the sense / concept. Take it further. Is it worth spending more time with this author or is it better to find a book or author that matches what you need for your life?

Alex

another example to clarify the "sense", when writing an article in the english exam some students get A others get C , though as student, I feel the writing which got C if for more understood and interesting than that one which got an A. I need to understand how the examiners think, because even some teachers fail to unerstand them. and I think the PRing is the solution, let us work on this one, considering I have samples of other students writings with the examiners' comments on them in my exercise book. I am little confused about it , some subjects I take i only study with little care about using them in real life, biology for example, and the real purpose for learning is only to pass the end-year exam ....though i enjoy studying it sometimes.

I haven't PR that exercise book yet, so what about making it our sample ,I am confused about how my purpose should look like for the book.

I don't think anyone will know exactly how examiners think unless you ask them personally, will this be in the exam. Why do you grade that an A and that a C.

I think students work too hard at trying to please and lose the focus of why they signed up for the course. And for the most part you only need a passing grade. For that PhotoReading is a time saving approach because it asks you to stay focused on your purpose.

Why are you doing the course?--
What do you need to know for that purpose?
Also you will need to demonstrate that knowledge for the instructor - what do you need to know for that?

So when you approach your text book and reading material, those the answers from those 3 questions are part of the map to your purpose for the course texts.

For example... Why am I doing this course... to have a career in...
What do I need to know for that... you might wind up with a list that includes... to find out what I need to know... Learn and improve my English.
To demonstrate that knowledge for the instructor - what do you need to know for that? I need to know what the instructor wants me to know so that I get a passing grade. This will include some material I'm not sure is relevant to my career goal but it is relevant to the course.

So you're assigned a novel... read it for literacy, First time PhotoReading it, then do multiple activation layers and then do the rapid read. (reverse to how one traditionally reads literature for coursework yes you are expected to read the book 3 times. First time your normal reading approach to a novel, then you search the book by reading it again faster, and 3rd time you skim it. Takes much longer than PhotoReading system)

So during activation you look for the characters, the settings and era of the book. With more layers you go deeper for things like moral of the story etc.

Ultimately your purpose will be defined by what you want to get out of the book.

Alex

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved