Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#82722 01/12/14 01:19 AM
Smokey Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi! I guess there might be a topic onthis already but I just couldn't find anything relevant.

I need to study 8 different subjects for my exams. Each of the textbooks is arund 400 pages. But as opposed to casual photoreading where your purpose is to just get answers to certain personal questions eg. like with a self-help book, I have to be able to recall pretty much 100% of my books. What specifically do I have to do to achieve that? What exactly should I be doing on a daily basis?

Also, I have exams coming up in three weeks and haven't had too much success with activation yet. So how should I spend the next three weeks to do well at the exams? Should I just use conventional reading till the exams or stick to PR and risk it all?

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

No one ever has to recall 100% of a book even for exams. If you did the exam itself would take a week without a break to complete while you rewrite the book. Realistically there is specific information you need from those books to pass the exams. And you want that information to be available then.

Apply the system, what you learned applies just as much to textbooks as it does with non-fiction books. Your purpose counts.

Activate the books in layers. Work chapter by chapter. Textbooks have been explained on the forum many times.

PhotoRead the whole book multiple times before the beginning of the seminar. These are books you should read more than once and who's got the time for that? So PhotoRead them instead.

The use the classroom as activation and when instructed to read a chapter or section of the book, activate it as you would a book. You can begin by PhotoReading the 2 chapters before through to the two chapters including the section you are expected to know before the class.

Activate in layers as you would any book. Include mind-mapping, writing down trigger words and questions. These steps are often skipped in casual reading however for exam material you want those mind-maps for review before the exam.

If you haven't had much success with activation consider that your purpose --- sucks --- and you have formed questions from your trigger words that help satisfy your purpose.

Build in layers. Most beginners give up with one activation layer thinking they should have full conscious awareness of the book within the 7 to 20 minutes they put in and yet if they applied traditional reading they'd be lucky to have covered 3 to 7 pages in that time. And know it all then?

Build in layers if a book takes you 12 hours to read expect to invest 4 hours maybe a bit more as a beginner. And if you work in 20 minute activation layers then that's at least 12 layers. And if you're really doing as suggested you might be pleasantly surprised to finish in less than 4 hours and have much more comprehension than you did with traditional reading.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved