Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hi Alex,

I was browsing through threads regarding activation in this forum and noticed that you mentioned activate in layers many time.

I don’t understand the meaning of building in layers very well. Does it mean that activating the book in 3 layers equals doing the activation step on the same book 3 times?

Thank you,
Jeff

Learning Strategies Admin

It means, set the timer. Activate for that time. Repeat until done. I prefer 20 minutes as that is the optimal time for the hippocampus and memory.

For beginners I recommend no less than 6, 20 minute layers. For most that will give as much or more comprehension than gained from traditional reading.

Do that as often as needed until the book gels. Read the chapter on activation in the PhotoReading book for how to activate.

Alex

OP Offline

Hi Alex,

Thank you for answering to my question. Your opinion is very constructional.

I see. I will try to do 6 20-minutes activation layers on a book and see how it goes.

I will also record what works for me and what doesn't.

Thank you!

Jeff

OP Offline

Hi Alex,

Thank you very much for your answer once again.

I have done activations with super read & dip and skitter techniques 4 times, each time 6 minutes. (I wanted to do 20 minutes for each layer, but didn’t have enough time in the past couple days.) Now I do have a LOT better comprehension of a book that I have tried to activate before but the first result wasn’t good.

I cannot help come back to this post to reconfirm on the advises you gave me. I was wondering why you were suggesting building in 6 layers. I have gone through the activation section in the book and self-learning tapes and now have a question.

Is activating in 6 layers meaning to activate 6 times by utilising the following 6 techniques in each layer?

1. Incubate
2. Reviewing questions
3. Super read and dip
4. Skitter
5. Mindmap
6. Rapid read

Or you actually meant something else?

Thank you very much.

Jeff

1 Incubate. That happens every time you take a break. It might be 2 minutes while you get a glass of water or it can be days or weeks.

2. Review questions. Yes, you'll do that before opening the book (it's part of prepare. Always prepare before each step.) After you have done one activation layer you're done. If you want to do more then prepare. Reviewing your questions is part of deciding your purpose.

3. Superread, dip, skitter, as you will is the actual act of activation.

Rapid Read is an optional activation technique. I recommend that beginners do 6 activation layers before rapid reading the book.

Because...

... Building with activation layers gets faster and better the more you do it. And you will find that you can often be finished with a book according to your needs with one activation layer once you've got the hang of activation.

... If you as a beginner start using rapid reading too soon you fall into the trap of passive reading.

Alex

OP Offline

Hi Alex,

Thank you very much!!

Jeff

Hi,
I found that I had much better retention and success if I used the mind mapping technique. I very seldom use the rapid Read option, because like Alex said, I can't stop myself from "reading".

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved