Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

When superreading and dipping is it OK to read something and just after that take notes on a mindmap)?
I have the same question about highlighting text passages. Is it ok to read(to dip) a passage and just after that highlight its keywords?

Or should I keep moving on and on (superreading and deeping without any stopping to analyse things) then finish my first activation layer
and, only on the following activation layers, read text passages (that satisfies my aims) and stop to analyse them one by one?

In which moment of the activation should I stop to analyse and reflect (make draws, highlights, talk with myself, explain to others...)
about a text passage without moving on to another one?

Last edited by maxmeida; 09/10/14 03:09 AM.
Learning Strategies Admin

! Yes

Highlighting is a waste of time. Write the trigger words on a separate sheet of paper. One side can have your trigger words and questions other the mind map as you start activating.

Analysing slows you down, Repeat superread and dip later or even skitter later if you want to analyse.

Alex

OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Alex K. Viefhaus
!

...Repeat superread and dip later or even skitter later if you want to analyse.

Alex

Thanks. Two questions:

By that should I deduce that I should analyse just after many activation layers and just as a final resource?

What about very difficult technical books? Don't you think that in some moment we have to stop and analyse deeply a text passage?

ps.: by analyse I mean to stop at a certain passage and think about it, use other intelligences(interpersonal intelligence, musical intelligence, etc..), make draws, explain what I've read to myself, make a song with the knowledge, etc...

The point is that I don't if I should stop and analyse or if I should keeping moving on to another part of the book. On the photoreading book (rapid reading chapter) Paul said that is better not to stop more than once on a specific passage (he said that this is part of old reading habits)and suggested to keep moving on to other text parts. Maybe this information confused me a little bit.

Last edited by maxmeida; 09/10/14 04:07 PM.

Analysis is only necessary if after a long time you still trying to make sense of something.

During one activation layer, activate and move on. Don't re-read a passage or section just then. You may glance over it again in another activation layer. Again don't dwell too long.

If you get stuck in a third or forth time in later activation layers, on the same passage or section. Ask, what's missing here. You might find that stumbled over an editing error or spelling mistake and that's why you're drawn back to it.

Alex

OP Offline

Analysis is only necessary if after a long time you still trying to make sense of something.

Alex

But you've said that you mind map as you go putting keywords that show your understanding.
By choosing your own words aren't you analysing?

Nope I am not analysing. I'm translating to my perception, my understanding to attach to my memory web, that happens instantly.

If I'm analysing I will start creating experiments that test the authors words. Which I start comparing to other information that I am aware of. And in my case, I start writing articles when I'm analysing.

Alex

OP Offline

Thanks for your help. smile

If I'm analysing I will start creating experiments that test the authors words. Which I start comparing to other information that I am aware of.
Alex

Could you please explain this in other words?

I drop reading, activation and start free-writing. A technique Win Wenger introduced me to.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved