Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

Should I make my mindmap just to recall information?
I mean... Should I close the book and then create a mind map from what I've learned (recalling from memory without looking at the book)?

Or... when creating a mind map, is it ok to read again selected passages that satisfies my aims and take notes of it on my mindmap?

Learning Strategies Admin

Yes, make mind maps, especially while you are still learning PhotoReading. It triggers the body mind connection.

How ever you want to create the mind map. do it. Why make it so hard on yourself?

Alex

OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Alex K. Viefhaus

How ever you want to create the mind map. do it. Why make it so hard on yourself?

Alex

Thanks for the answer.

Sometimes I like to read a passage (superread and dip) and immediately take a note of it on a mind map.

This seems to me like taking notes without knowing the most important words or thoughts or feelings of this passages or dividing me attention by doing two things: reading and taking notes.

On the other hand, when I'm studying a lot of subjects it sounds more productive because I need the mind maps to review the subjects later and because I have a long list of things to study. So reading and take notes immediately gives a feeling of productivity (but maybe its just an old reading habit).

So, what is your opinion about his situation?
Do you think it is ok on the first activation layer read something and just after that take a note of that text passage on a mindmap?

Last edited by maxmeida; 09/10/14 03:55 PM.

I often mind map as I go. I make sure to use key words that demonstrate my understanding. So stick with no more than 3 words. I prefer to do it that way because it frees up my conscious memory. I do have a personal rule of putting the pen down.

There is nothing wrong with mind mapping in the last 5 minutes of activation. It helps you to quickly review what you just learned and sometimes you have to go back and check again. An aid to memory, because memory works with repetition.

I usually don't mind map on the very first activation. That's my way, each will find an order that works best for them.

The important thing is to stay within the time you set for your activation. Don't let it run on thinking you're being productive drawing word filled mind maps.

The reason for the time is that you stop and reflect and consider what you still need.

Alex

OP Offline

Quote:
I often mind map as I go.

By that, did you mean read a text passage and immediately take notes on your mind map or take notes on it only in the last minutes of each activation layer?

Last edited by maxmeida; 02/26/15 01:02 PM.

Both. I make a quick note and drop the pen as quickly as possible. That prevents me from writing to much and allows me to do an immediate brain dump. Then I add anything further at the end of an activation pass.

Alex

OP Offline

Ok, thanks for your answer.

OP Offline

Just something I wanna ask.
As I said I have a lot of materials to study for exams. As I study I need mind maps to review the large content later in a fast way.

I still have this small conflict in my mind:

Sometimes I like to read a text passage and immediately stop reading and put my own words on a mind map. (It is not a quick note as you do).
This approach gives me the feeling of productivity and receive immediately feedback (the feedback is seeing the mind map being produced as I read). This feedback tends to put me in a state of satisfaction and motivation, because I'm seeing the result of my work and understanding (the mind map) being produced.

The bad side is that this approach divides my attention and focus because I'm doing 2 things: reading and taking notes.
This division of focus seems to not let the process flows and continues.

Other point is that, by immediately taking notes of a book that I don't know well yet, makes me regret later, because, after knowing better the book, I know that this notes were not much to relevant to my goals as I thought or that there were things in the book that were more relevant.

This approach, as I said above, have pros and cons.
Now I understand clearly the way you do.
But, in my case, do you suggest me to continue with the approach I've said or keep reading without stopping and just make mind map notes at the end of each activation layer?

Last edited by maxmeida; 02/27/15 04:58 PM.

The problem with writing too much on the mind map is it's not a memory device. You need to get in the habit of putting the ideas down so that you can remember them. That's why keywords are important.

The difference is significant. Looking productive is often just busy work. Being productive is being able to keep it succinct.

Too many notes, become too much to read. Some people do terrific thinking that way. If you do too. Keep your activation layers shorter to do flow writing.

If you're just copying passages from the book, you're not learning. Write the question down, note the answer/s in shorthand (keywords only)

If you're writing you're not activating. Try leaving the mind mapping to the last 2 to 5 minutes of your activation layer (2 minutes if you're intent on activating for 7 to 10 minutes, 5 minutes if your activation time is 20 minutes)

And if you're keen on mind mapping, never go over 20 minutes if you want to remember what you picked up during activation and intend to mind map at the end.

Alex

Alex will you please write more on-

1. keep your activation layer shorter to do flow writing

2. if you are copying passages from the book, you are not learning ( but what if I learn so well that I can write the passage as it is without looking it in the book?)

3. If you are writing you are not activating.
Thanks!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved