Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Definition:
Author’s Purpose is the reason why the text was written. There are four main purposes to an author’s passage.
To:
Persuade
Inform
Entertain
Explain
Author’s Purpose: To Persuade

It’s the author’s goal to persuade the reader to agree with the author’s opinion.

Even though the author shares his opinion, he may provide facts or examples to support the opinion.

Examples: advertisements, commercials, newspaper editorial, etc.
Author's Purpose: To Inform

It’s the author’s goal to enlighten the reader with topics that are usually real or contain facts.

Facts are used to teach, not to persuade.

Examples: textbooks, cookbooks, newspapers, encyclopedias, etc.
Author’s Purpose: To Entertain

It is the author’s goal to simply entertain; provide enjoyment for the reader
Author’s Purpose: To Explain

It is the author’s goal to tell a story or describe real or imaginary characters, places, and events

Examples: poems, stories, plays, comic strips, etc.
Essential Question(s):

How can I determine the author’s purpose for writing this text/passage?

How the text features help me identify why the text was written?
FCAT Stem Questions:

What was the author’s purpose in writing this article/passage?

What does the author mean when he/she writes “____________________”?

Why did the author write this article?

Which statement best describes what the author thinks?

What is the author’s attitude towards ________ in this article?

What kind of article did the author write?

The author wants the reader to think ______________.

Which feature of ________ does the author most value?

The author/narrator could most likely agree with which statement?

Why does the author describe _______ in such detail?
Signal Words: (Recommended for Interactive Word Wall)
Author’s purpose, article, statement, agree, why?, describes, author’s attitude, reader, feature, value, narrative, detail
Materials/Resources: What do I have or need to teach the lesson objective(s)?
Teacher: Content article/text samples or picture book related to current instructional topic; chart paper, if available – overhead projector, LCD projector or document camera, text samples, graphic organizer templates (students can also draw these on paper); magazines and newspapers
Student: Paper, pencil
Additional Author’s Purpose Mini-Lesson Resources/Links:
http://www.sanchezclass.com/docs/authorsintent-purpose.pdf

What was your question?

OP Offline

Photo reader 4 me . My question is that I have a hard time asking questions. I was never taught that in readings, classes
all through school and high school I was a special Ed we had reading back, not where you have to think up questions to answer
but I found some good strategy questions from the Internet to help me ask questions like why, who where when what and how
I working through the course. The second time around doing the activities that he asked for you to do. I working through the CDs taken my time airplane with each segment. It's hard for me because years of convulsions and brain damage and eyes had been operated on many times because they were going in cross eyed. Have a hard time with the blank page have to imagine the X on the page . I have the book about 14 inches away from me and on the book stand about 45° angle . I have been working with Alex also on this is taken me time and patience to learn this course because of my upbringing. Thank you Christopher

Christopher,

Here is some information that will help you.

Let me introduce you to some friends of mine.

They are;

Who,What,When,Where,Why and How.

Here are some examples of Questions for you.

What is my purpose for reading this?

You need to know precisely why you are reading something so you will know what you should be looking for.

What do I already know about this topic or subject?

This is a way of warming up. After you read the title and before you begin to read you should quickly and briefly write down what do I know about the topic, what the topic reminds you of and what you would like to know and expect to learn. When you do this it starts the process of generating questions and it makes you aware of what you know and don't know about a topic.

What is the big picture here?

Our mind learns best when we get the whole picture. Our mind does not work well will fragmented, isolated bits of information. To get the big picture of a book read the preface and introduction, go through the table of contents and read chapter summaries. To get the big picture of a chapter read the chapter title, first and last chapters of the chapter, Section Headings, Tables,Graphs,Charts, Pictures and Diagrams. Read the First Sentence of Each Paragraph in the Chapter. If it is a really long chapter read the first and last sentences of each subsection. Read the Chapter Summary.
Write it down it is kind of like having a roadmap and it is a lot easier than having to carry all that information in your head.

What information is important here?

Remember the 80/20 rule.You want to focus on the 20% most important information. The trick is knowing what is important and what is not important. Probably 4 to 15 percent of the book is the most crucial,important information. Here are some clues;
The beginning and the end. The Chapter Summary. The gist of any chart or diagram. Anything emphasized graphically. Anything in bold or italics is being stressed by the author for a reason but you cannot rely solely on authors because what they consider important may not be important for your purposes but you do not want to ignore or disregard their emphasis.

What Questions Does This Information Raise For Me?

This is a way of making the information your own. Get Curious.
Ask Who,What,Where,When, Why and How?

Here are four powerful questions.

So What?

How is this significant? What does it tell us about other things?

Says Who?

Is this a fact or someone's opinion? How can this be verified? Does this depend on a particular point of view?

What If?

What would happen if......? What if I....?

What does this remind me of?

Where have I seen something like this before? What does that suggest about this?

These questions will help you create a dialogue with the text and as you practice it more you will get more skillful in asking the right questions.

All the best to you and that includes good health.

Photoread4me.

Last edited by photoread4me; 11/16/14 10:53 AM.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved