Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Neal Offline OP
OP Offline

Quote:
Exactly. You didn't always have an interest and unless you built a curiosity or had a "what's in it for me?" interest in the subject one would fail. If you aren't interested in the subject, you need to find one or you're not going to pass the class.

I had to take history classes but I never really developed any curiosity. I scraped by because it was a requirement. Don't get me wrong, I am glad I took those classes now that I look back, but at the time I had NO desire to take those classes. I didn't fail, I just didn't do as well as I should have.

Quote:
If you go to uni - you signed up for it. If you don't have an interest in it why sign up? It's tied up with your purpose.

That is funny. I like how lump things together. I went to a university and signed up for a specific subject, so somehow I must have had some desire for all the subjects I had to take. No, I don't agree with that. To get a degree, you can't just take the courses you want, you have to take a wide range of subjects, even those you don't like.

I don't think your purpose has to be a curiosity. I think it is more, I have to get through this, so my purpose is to learn more at this level so I can move on to the next level. I don't find this level interesting, but I still have to go through it.

When I learned programming, in pretty much every class I took, they had to give a history, which I found boring, but I still had to endure it as part of the overall class.

Quote:
That is because of your purpose. You had an interest. Even if part wasn't interesting, you still had a investment of interest and curiosity.

I think you and I have two different meanings of interest. To me, it means I have a desire to learn about it. But be that as it may, I think we are heading down the same street, but one is on one side and the other is on the other side and we each see the same things a bit different.

Thanks again,

Neal

Adarsh #83781 02/03/15 03:40 AM
Neal Offline OP
OP Offline

Hey Adarsh,

Thank you for your insight. I will try to remember the points you make.

Thanks,

Neal

Neal #83784 02/03/15 05:13 AM

Most of us have only our education to compare as thats the only point in time on an average we are with our books!!.When we enter our adult world we realize we don't need 90 to 95% of what we have read in our careers.But we are so conditioned by our society and by our own experiences that we have to read in a particular way.
We fail to acknowledge that the old system of reading linearly was all a big waste of time.But we cant get to letting go of the system for obviously many reasons .

1.The old system of education is necessary to build a base, a foundation.It is important to read linearly also. PRWMS will help once we enter the adult world.

2.We have an underlying motive to get ourselves a job from what we educate ourselves.Professional world doesnt recognise people with out formal education.

But isn't it true that 90 to 95% of what we read are really not used in our adult lives.So here is a system which tells us and gives us a liberty to think in a focused manner.
It sets no boundaries by the book covers.It says take ten or more books in a field you want to learn and grow.Take one aspect you want to master and then Photo-read and activate and get your answers and apply to a place you want it instantly.
Its so focused.
But since we dont have a mission and vision and a goal in front of us we still are children out of educational institution in a brave new world not knowing what to do!!! then we want to read as we are conditioned deep below that "reading helps" and when we sit to read ,with a system which asks us to decide our purpose we are totally scattered.Oh how can i be so specific ,i want everything ?who knows i may need everything i read?we forget the lesson our 20 years of education gave us ,that reading for some 10000hrs which has not helped us much,but blame the simple PRWMS system that it doesn't work.

What has really not worked?Geetting everything or getting specific answers?in my experience the latter is 100% assured and the former depending on the time you can get to also ,very fast.

I feel that first we must get clear with what one wants in his career and then apply it to the books which supports us to get there and you will find yourself becoming a raving fan of PRWMS!!!

Building base knowledge under different categories takes its own time.One must dedicate time for building a foundation and using PRWMS to do so also takes less time compared to the linear system of reading.

For example in my career i want to be good in finance and accounting,marketing,the science behind technology involved in my field .So i am pretty much surrounding myself with books related to these fields.

Once i have built a base i find to add something additional to what I already know takes shorter time.Thats where i am finding PRWMS to be an outstanding tool to use .

Novels and rest of the books will easily fall in place cause we get good at assimilation,Recognition ,integration and application of ideas!!!

Well that's my view again.Why haven't people waged a war against our educational system so far?Cause who will question the system and who has the time?and thank god there is PRWMS!!!

Let me also add a few experiences.I remembered this yesterday night.I had photoread Chronicles of narnia( forgive me if i have said this elsewhere in the forum,but i just want to share this again).This happened a couple of years back when the movie "Voyage of the Dawn treader "was released.
I have not activated the book yet.
So we(my family) went to this movie and in the story there is a kid ,i forget the characters name i think its Eustace who joins the other 2 kids reluctantly in thier journey ,rather he gets caught with them ad enters the journey.In the movie they enter an island and there this noisy cynical kid Eustace enters a town filled with gold supposedly cursed.The scene cuts here and the focus is on rest of the characters from the film and they are ready to leave the island and they realise that Eustace is missing. Suddenly i tell myself "oh he becomes a dragon!!" and then the scene turns to show a dragon who picks up one of the prince and the crew pursues the dragon.Actually it is Eustace who is cursed to be a dragon!!!

Well i had actually activated the book.I did not realise it and 1 or 2 days later i asked myself ,hey thats great how come i "Guessed" that the kid becomes a dragon!!!probably it was pure guess ,but i have had many such instances where in the answer pops into my head .I dont know how.Call it spontaneous activation .

The problem i think even LSC has in proving to the world is that information has to be taken in a structured way but information doesnt get assimilated integrated and applied in a structured way.

So this gap is very difficult for all of us to believe.Its very difficult for us to apply as in we are scared that its all a waste of time.isnt it true that what was difficult for us in high school got easier in college and what was difficult in college is somewhat easier today.Especially if we had kept improving our knowledge our efforts.Thats important if we had kept to the learning and relearning.Look at many doctors they read reread and attend all these seminars keep to thier books consistently and they good after a period of time .Some exceptions are available in all fields they are geniuses instantly.

All this only proves to me that our brain grows and we need to support it and keep exciting it with more learning.There is an opportunity to understand and use our knowledge at the level of application at any given point when we "GET IT"

So i think PRWMS deserves a fair chance .The belief to try and keep trying ?What else is there in the market which is so structured and basic.I dont know?and now i dont care!!!This is good for me.

Neal #83788 02/03/15 10:17 AM
Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

Quote:

I had to take history classes but I never really developed any curiosity. I scraped by because it was a requirement. Don't get me wrong, I am glad I took those classes now that I look back, but at the time I had NO desire to take those classes. I didn't fail, I just didn't do as well as I should have.

"Could have." Could have if you were interested.

As I explained ... the PhotoReading step Postviewing is where you build your curiosity and interest.

Alex

Neal #83789 02/03/15 06:33 PM

Neal,

There are a huge number of posts about photoreading not working. People at times mistakenly assume photoreading a lot like reading. Many newbies tend to seek results of regular reading with photoreading. would you dig for cobalt at coal mines? Do you seek strawberries on a mango tree?

Photoreading wont comprehend all of a book for you in 2 hours. It helps you find what you are interested in. That is why you set up a purpose. If you dont set a purpose to find how many matches Philip Hughes played, you wont find how many matches he played. It is as simple as that! Thats why importance of purpose has been highlighted every now and then. If you increase number of activation passes to get more out of a book, time you spend on a book also increases.

Photoreading makes it easier to find what you need. It also helps in direct learning. It doesnt comprehend all of the book for you in short amount of time but only what you need. This is an advantage but also a limitation. Also the question answer approach isnt suitable for all types of reading materials.

With regular reading, you overcome this limitation. You come across all of the information in a book. New or familiar, interesting or uninteresting you take it all and make a note of all. Thats why second time you read a book, you find everything easier and already known. If you make a mindmap, you then organise your information the same way you did in photoreading.

If you are finding it tough to make the photoreading system working for you, try reconsidering what you want to do with a book. You would photoread books to find particularly something or for direct learning. For comprehending all of a book, or to read detail rich books, textbooks, newspapers, novels you would find regular reading the best.

What matters at the end is -effective reading. Members of the forum will try their best to assist you and you may not necessarily agree with them everytime. Dont get nervous with that. There are a couple of LSC certified coaches in UK who teach speed reading along with Photoreading! Experiment and see what works best for you. Explore more, you will find everything that you were seeking. There isnt certainly any problem with your purpose as much as in your expectations as far as I can see.

Stweet

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved