Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I was wondering how the two compare when you are in search of information? One is guided by a purpose and utilizes the sub-conscious mind (PhotoReading) and the other relies on visual cues to present a topic that one usually just watches once.

Looking forward to hearing what you think.

Learning Strategies Admin

It depends on the learner. The visual learner loves visual information and tends to prefer that over reading. Though I find reading much more informative ad faster than listening to someone narrate something. Example the online videos. Nothing frustrates me more waiting for someone to get to the point. In reading transcripts you see their story but get to jump to the point. They spend 20 minutes talking I spend 6 minutes reading their talk and have a lot more information because my mind stayed on the topic.

The mind doesn't just wander off if you're reading too slow, or without a purpose. It also wanders off if you're waiting for someone to finish telling the story.

If you've experienced the Fast Finish of some of the Learning Strategies courses it might be interesting to watch a video faster.

In my experiment... made no difference.

What did make a difference was watching something else being presented and previewing another video on a second screen with the sound off.

I found the second video much more interesting an the learning experience deeper.

It serves nothing to talk about it. One has to try it to compare it. Most of our experiences are subjective any way.

Alex

OP Offline

Thank you for your though reply. What was the second video? I never considered watching a documentary on two screens.

OP Offline

Also, in reading your replies should I just be rapid reading/skittering or do i need to formulate a purpose and preview? I find that I can complete reading a text before I complete the above two steps.

The second video was a lecture, I watched it silently while watching a movie. It was in the side of my vision.

I'm not sure of the relevance of the second question in this topic. You seem to have switched from video to reading.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved