Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8368 07/16/05 01:37 PM
pcbrook Offline OP
OP Offline

I have a little story to tell here, so bear with me!

Most of my life I was never in control of my situations. I just let things happen to me. By the time I was age 40 I felt it was time to take control of my life and do what I wanted. With that came a desire for an actual career. Or better yet, self employment. I tried network marketing and realized convincing people to buy things they did not want was not a good thing. I quit my job and took my profit sharing to buy vending machines only to find out the profits were not as big as the headaches so back to work I went. Then, I borrowed a bunch on my credit cards to start up a home-based travel business 1 month before 9-1-1. Stayed with it a year only to end up bankrupt. At the moment I am working as a legal assistant at a law firm. I enjoy the work and it is interesting but the attorneys are a couple years from retirement and sure I have the experience but I live in a very small town and my options are very limitied to find work in this field later.

I have always had an interest in writing and marketing and have found a place where I can learn from some of the top copywriter's and graphic designers in the field. It is affordable and I can do this in my spare time while I am still working at the law firm.

But I have fears. The fear of failing again. The fear of my friends and family thinking to themselves "Oh, another one of her crazy schemes that will end up nowhere again!"

I have New History Generator and New Behavior Generator. Do you think these two would be sufficient to get rid of these fears and try one more time to be successful instead of a failure. And to not worry about what people think of me?

#8369 07/16/05 02:02 PM
Learning Strategies Admin

Fear of failing is understandable but the only realy way to fail is not to go out and do what you want to do.

Fear of what your friends and family think. Provided you don't "cost" them what does it matter what they think?

One interesting thing I realised at the Natural Brilliance Retreat is our family and friends are quietly cheering us on. I say quietly because we don't often hear their come-on, you can do it, one more step and you're closer to your goal. It comes across as concern for our well being, "Do you think it's right for you?" type of questions. That we misinterpret as them thinking of us as failures.

Yep, The New History Generator will help you get over the setbacks and learn from the past. New Behaviour Generator will help you to behave differently. Not doing the stuff that led you to bankrupcy. That's an experience you've learned to survive so you are stronger already.

A story (that means you can stop reading if you don't what to read a story)

A frogs fell into a vat of cream. To his dismay he found another frog there on his last breath.

The dying frog said, "It's impossible to climb out of here. This slippery stuff had me sliding right back down again every time I tried to get up. There's no point in trying so I gave up. I tell you there is no point in wasting your energy." With that the frog sunk to the bottom.

The second frog said, "Forget that! I don't care how much energy it takes I'm getting out of here!"

So the second frog jumped and thrashand plopped around in that cream. You know what happens to cream when you churn it enough? It turns to butter ans suddenly the frog found something solid under his feet. With that he took an almighty jump and was out of the vat. A tired but happy frog because he reached his goal and he can relax and get his breath back.

Not quite as amusing as the story about the drunk.

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex K. Viefhaus (edited July 17, 2005).]

#8370 07/17/05 05:06 AM
pcbrook Offline OP
OP Offline

LOL! I am not sure I have heard the story about the drunk but the frog story hit home!

You mentioned about me maybe misunderstanding my family's feelings about my past failures. You know....I have never looked at it in that perspective. That may very well be true. I know my husband and daughters support anything I do. I feel very grateful for finding a man that loves me no matter what. It may very well be that I just don't want to let them down again. My in-laws are the ones that think I am flakey and there have been times I thought to myself "Do I really care what they think?"

Thank you so much for your reply and I will get to work on listening to New History and New Behavior. I will just have to go into this with the attitude of "I will show them I can finally succeed!"

Any other comments are welcome!

#8371 07/16/05 06:18 PM

pcbrook

I like Alex's perspective on questions of concern really being a way for someone to cheer you on....

I wonder if shifting your thinking about outcome and failure would be helpful to you also...

Maybe none of your adventures were actually failures...you simply received an outcome that was not the goal you had in mind.

Yet, if you learned something from each of those endeavors then applied what you learned to your next adventure....you actually had success....it just didn't look like what you thought it would look like in the beginning.

From reading your posts, it sounds as if you have learned from your past behaviors and you have eventually landed on your feet each time.

I did a variety of different jobs in my 20'and 30's as well as going to school...and my family thought I was a flake...yet each different job allowed me to move a step closer to my ultimate career goal. Now, having achieved that goal...I utilize lessons learned from each of those jobs...even the one where I sold running shoes...so to me none were a waste of time..

I don't know the drunk story either...I did enjoy the frog story.

Good luck to you.
Nickie

#8372 07/17/05 10:27 AM

Ahh Well the drunk story goes like this.

One dark night after having a bit too much to drink Charlie decided to leave his car and walk home.

It had been and still was raining so Charlie decided to take a short cut through the cemetry. He figured no one in their right mind would be in there on this dark wet night. Well the paths were slippery and as luck should have it he slipped into a hole. It was already knee deep with water. But the edge of the hole was well over his head. So try as he might he was having trouble getting a foothold in the muddy earth. He had been working on climbing out for almost 15 minutes and during this time he never noticed that someone was in there with him watching him.

The guy watching him was getting exhausted seeing Charlies effort and figured they might be abel to help each other out. He went over and tapped him on the shoulder and to say, "Hey mate, you won't get out of here on your own." But the moment he touched him on the shoulder Charlie was outta there light greased lightning.

The guy went back to his corner and muttered. How on earth do they do that? That's the third guy tonight that managed to climb out and I'm still in here.

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex K. Viefhaus (edited July 17, 2005).]

#8373 07/17/05 01:33 PM
pcbrook Offline OP
OP Offline

That's a good one! LOL! As it relates to my situation I think I will be the guy who thinks he is being approached by a ghost and get the heck up and out. I just feel for the one that is stuck down there. Hope he makes it out sometime!!!

Nickie, I do agree with you that every experience, good or bad, is a learning experience. I remember at the end of my travel business days telling a friend who was also a franchise owner in a different part of our state that I really had no regrets. I actually learned a lot from the whole experience. You know what they say, what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.

I have been listening to New History and will also listen to New behavior and see what happens there.

I appreciate all the help and comments. This forum is a great resource.

#8374 07/17/05 03:29 PM

You might also want to try the Resiliency course. That one deals with making one stronger and better, to bounce back even higher, inspite of setbacks and changes.

#8375 07/17/05 09:07 PM
pcbrook Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the heads up on Resiliency. I have not even looked at the Resiliency Course until you mentioned it. It looks like it would be very good but my funds are a little low right now. I think I will stick with what I have until I can save up a bit and to purchase it.

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved