Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Learning Strategies Admin

If you don't have a path through the jungle you won't have quick access to the prize.

The lack of neural pathways is what is why we forget. What did you have for lunch on the 28 November 2014?

That information is in your long term memory, like the book you PhotoRead. You haven't created neural pathways therefore you've lost ready access to the memory. It's still there and a difficult challenge to call it up.

Quote:
Alex I am really very confused now. When you say you can talk about a book you activated 5 years back, do you re -visit those books regularly? I believe you dont.

Maybe that's because I didn't put enough emphasis on...

Use it or Lose it

I used the information. I don't have to review what I'm using. I remember the sources because they attached to my memory web in a useful way. The experience of having information that I can use and do use regularly.

The books I don't call on, aren't important. If I need information from them I'll know which book needs another activation layer. It's not necessary to know that you know.

I'm probably a lot of information that I've activated without remembering where on the page I found it. Not that it matters. I use information on a daily basis. What I don't use... it isn't the end of my world.

Novels ... what's the purpose?

Alex

Novels, these days I am reading purely to get entertained. My purpose is to have a movie-like experience while complete the book at a faster rate.

I have been doing as per instructed- rapid reading without superread and dip. But I find myself going faster at the beginning of the book and eventually slower as the story progresses. Its fun that way too though. But it then comes down to the speed of regular reading and thus consumes lot of time.

I have tried reading back to front and picking trigger words and forming questions before rapid read, but it doesnt help unlike non-fiction.

Thanks..

Then PhotoRead and activate. Won't finish the book as fast as non-fiction books since you're looking for a movie like experience and that involves an immersion into the characters. If you've ever watched a movie and read the book you'll notice that they cut out a lot from the book and rewrite it so it fits the time of a movie.

So looking at that you'd be looking at spending 2 to 6 hours with a book depending on the number of pages and how much immersion / entertainment you seek.

The speed at which you rapid read is determine by how much you use regular reading rather than rhythmic perusal, superreading and dipping etc.

It's also determined by how well you honed your activation skills.

Rapid Reading is superreading and dipping, skittering and rhythmic perusal and analytical reading as necessary. If you leave out superreading and dipping you're left with skittering and rhythmic perusal as the fastest techniques you're choosing to use.

Quote:
I have tried reading back to front and picking trigger words and forming questions before rapid read, but it doesnt help unlike non-fiction.

Reading the front and back is previewing. That's where you decide whether you're interested in the book.

If that hasn't helped dump the book for one that interests you.

use Postviewing to build a curiosity for the book that satisfies your purpose. During postviewing of a novel you can do a bit of activation, you'd probably ask who is the main character, where is it set, what's the mood of the book? What era is it set, Am I still interested in spending a couple of hours with this author.

If yes rapid read, and in case you missed it, rapid reading means using all the activation techniques that apply to what you're reading for your interest and purpose. So don't dump superreading, believe me some sections of the book are unnecessarily descriptive that you will get when you rapid read just like looking at the scene in a movie. You'll get all you need with a rapid read of those sections when you've already PhotoRead the book.

Alex

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved