Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#84616 03/23/16 12:13 PM
OP Offline

For anyone else that may be struggling with purpose and Photoreading, and not inclined to read the full story:

What feeling led you to thinking that a particular book or article might be helpful or interesting?

A brief sharing:
Had been struggling with this and had a breakthrough during my morning paraliminal session. Reading idly since the age of 5 has led to not establishing purposes of my own when approaching new subject matter past "This looks interesting." and "I've got some time and nothing better to do." Since reading has been a staple form of entertainment for me people have remarked that "You must be in school, and very smart."
To which the response had recently become "Reading is strictly for fun, and half the things I read I don't work to apply."

The realization that response brought sparked the desire for application, and application requires purpose. Two technical muscles that have seen little to no use in my life.

This morning's Paraliminal was Automatic Pilot Session A which was going to be applied to Photoreading as a generality. And then my attention flashed on the concept of purpose, the basis of Photoreading and the thing I'd been struggling with in the course. After the session was over there was a book next to me that had been a go to for idle time, of which there was about five minutes.

However, this time in reaching for the book the thought came "What made me feel like I wanted to look into this book. After all even for entertainment there is a purpose being fulfilled." In seeking the initial feeling a clearer purpose was established.

The previous sentence was the entirety of the post.

Learning Strategies Admin

Usually I just ask, "what's in it for me?" From there I find the purpose.

If after PhotoReading the book I don't get a sense of needing something from the book I file it away. Sometimes all I need to do is PhotoRead the book and gotten what's in it for me already that I don't feel activation is required.

Alex

OP Offline

So when you say "What's in it for me?" you mean as a blanket "What does this book have that I can use?"

When do you normally get more specific?

It's what I ask of every book, what's in it for me? Why should I spend time with any book if there is nothing in it for me. That's the mindset I have when I choose a book whether I want to spend time with the author tapping their knowledge.

After PhotoReading I can usually discover if the book does in fact offer information as described in the book and set my purpose accordingly.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved