Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Alex/Dana,

I am seeking any tips you may have on activating very complex and lengthy material. The book I am activating is 872 pages long, has about 10-13 chapters and is titled "The Web Application Hackers Handbook 2nd Edition".

Right now here is my game plan:

1.) Prepare, preview, photoread the entire book
2.) Post view the book (I wrote down 15 trigger words and about 6 questions; I also flipped about 50 pages per after pulling most trigger words that I was curious about from the Table of contents"
3.) Incubate a few hours or overnight
4. Review the postview questions after getting back into state
5. Pick a chapter I am most drawn to and start super reading and dipping followed by a pass of skittering/mind mapping.

I plan on treating each chapter as a book within itself due to the complexity of the material.

Is this a good approach or do you have any recommendations to share that could further assist?

Thanks,

DJ

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

This has been posted often on the forum

• Textbooks - treat each chapter as a book in itself
• PhotoRead the book more than once if you can it helps the classroom be part of your activation.
• When activating, know your purpose what you want to learn from the chapter.
• prior to activation PhotoRead the chapter again, since chapters can be short PhotoRead the two preceding chapters and two following the chapter you're acting.
• Ask questions.
• if you don't know what questions to ask, check with your instructor to help you develop your purpose for the book.
- or read the review questions that often appear at the end of the chapter.
• If the book or subject is new or difficult for you begin your activation in the Glossary.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved