Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Backgroud:
I need use photoreading on dissertation and professional book,with technical terms and complex formulas.I don't known where to begin active. I feel so frustrated that I reluctant to go across active stage.

Here is my puzzled question

1. There are two type of question written in the book‘The photo reading whole mind system’:
One type question: superficial,conception
such as:what is 'frequent offset'.
This time you can find the term easily
Two type question: need understand
This type you cannot find it in book directly
Question 1:In review stage
What type question should I raise? And I usually just look the catalogue but skim the pages, to raise the question .Is it right?

Question 2: In supper read and dip stage
What is the state like in supper read and dip?
State 1: Look for the answer of the proposed question one by one
state 2: With purpose in mind, read the eye catched section, just
follow intuition. But usually use the old reading instead.

Learning Strategies Admin

When preparing for a dissertation use syntopic reading. The how to is a full chapter in the PhotoReading book.

What type of question depends on what your disseration is going to be about. Look at the chapter on syntopic reading.

Alex

Dear iamnanmu,

The frustration you feel is valid on a lot of levels. At the same time, I feel like you are trying to eat an entire Elephant in a single bite.

Like any manner you study, studying happens on what? Layers and repetition. This is universal. Even in photoreading, I study the same thing over and over.

If you study, your course with no interest. Expecting Photoreading to charter you through entire course (That's what I was expecting). One is bound to fail.

Take a moment, change the approach towards your course. Have no expectations. Forget about your deadline to study it. Just get engrossed in this subject for a while.

Use prepare, photo-focus, and p/review stages, as a substitute to your normal reading. Here you have set yourself in motion to learn.

Then use the activation sessions, for comprehension. This is where you can use many techniques. Don't get stuck to a single method. If reading helps, do it. Drawing helps, draw it. Does writing do the trick, write it all down. Be as playful as possible.

I would emphasise going in the activation stage with a purpose. If you aren't able to find a purpose at first, I used to do something like this. I used to make an arbitary purpose, just related to the topic. This would be as simple as possible. Once I found it, I would end my session there. Then after a 5 minute break, come back and set another purpose. The sessions sometimes just took a 1 minute, some even 5 minutes. Eventually, I increased my session to 20 minutes, with much better purpose.

For example, say I am reading 'Basic Economics'. I would set a purpose, 'What does commodity mean?' It is something I knew before reading. The adventure lies in finding it in the book. Once I found it, I then take a break. Pretty much just before resuming the session, I come up with some purpose. If I am not able to, I repeat the process.

You may not like this method, thus experiment in this session. And always use different techniques.

Some things, that we study, there is no option but just to mug it up. It is not a sign of failure of the system. It is a sign of practicality.

I have experience with finance. Where I was able to understand the formula, just by a glimpse. I could disintregrate it, look at individual components and build-it own my own, when I needed. First it all started with mugging it up. Along the sessions, I grew the logic and the idea behind it. Now, I can tweak these formulas, understand the assumption it was based on. Also pin-point it back to history, as why that thinking was the norm.

Hope this helps.

Hello,
I have been reading this with interest.

Cooldubai,
What did you benefit the most from photoreading, if i may ask? Memory, comprehension or speed?

I have very strange experience with photoreading recently. Frankly speaking I have never had any 'Aha' moment or improved comprehension or memory. Just speed, which I really am not much fond of.
So, my strange experience was about a book which I absolutely hate and wish my brain would understand it automatically without much of ploughing through.
From last week, I think of a page number from that book and end up opening the exact page! Believe me, I havent failed even once from my last 20 or so attempts!! when I do this deliberetly, it doesnt work. I have to opoen it randomly in a day without thinking to make it to work.

Impressive? Nah!
When I start digging in, the book seems remote. I dont understand a thing. But if I think of a page and open the book after a while, it opens at that exact page.
This is no benefit whatsoever. It happens even when I have no purpose of doing it!
You see, things do take place in photoreading even if you dont have that as a purpose. I have read here, that people find text familier, many have improved memory. Many just zip through tough books like they are some comics!!

Do the PhotoReading step on the book daily. for a couple of weeks, or try PhotoReading and then activating.

As long as you " I absolutely hate" a book you're building barriers to your curiosity. The fact that you can open the book to a page by thinking of it shows that you've built blocks to successfully activating it.

Do another Postview and find something to get curious about.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved