Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#84856 05/11/16 02:32 PM
OP Offline

Few questions:

1.) When browsing through news articles, do I need to have a specific purpose stated for each article I am looking at?

2.) Does #1 also apply to emails?

3.) At which point would you need to prepare again?

Thanks

Learning Strategies Admin

1. Why would anyone browse news articles?
2. Same question why would you browse emails?
3. Every point. Every time you take a break you prepare for the next step. If you worked through step one and 2 and then later decide to PhotoRead the book you do step one and three. If you decided to leave previewing for later then step one and 4. Always prepare before every activation layers. It doesn't take long so why skip it? It's like putting the key into the ignition of a car.

Alex

OP Offline

1. Why would anyone browse news articles?

Why not? One of the things I do daily is I read apple news on my iphone. I don't know if I want to prepare, preview, and then super read each article, especially when the articles are usually less than 2 pages. Doesn't make sense to me unless you can tell me why I would want to prepare before EACH news article.

2. Same question why would you browse emails?

See # 1. If I have 20 emails in my box and I am taking 5 seconds to get into state (Assuming I am a decently good photoreader), that's 100 seconds minimum, excluding a preview. Again doesn't seem like the best usage of my time.

3. Every point. Every time you take a break you prepare for the next step. If you worked through step one and 2 and then later decide to PhotoRead the book you do step one and three. If you decided to leave previewing for later then step one and 4. Always prepare before every activation layers. It doesn't take long so why skip it? It's like putting the key into the ignition of a car.

I agree with most of this, but needed additional clarification on the finer details. For emails or news articles do I really have to have a specific purpose, especially when it's a business correspondence that may or may not require my immediate action?

Thanks Much Alex

You need to tell me why you're reading the news articles in the first place, therein is your prepare. Note the first step prepare Know your Purpose is part of the first step, see the mind map on page 63 of the PhotoReading book to understand what prepare is and why I often will ask, why are you doing that?

As soon as you know why you've got your purpose. So prepare takes what 15 seconds? superread and dip if you don't want to PhotoRead the stack first. I do PhotoRead all the articles first when I can, usually at my computer browser. ON the mobile phone? Not always.

It's to ask you to reflect on your purpose. If you need help from that point, if you tell me your purpose then I can help with a strategy that can help.

You only need one purpose, for emails it doesn't take long if it takes 15 seconds to prepare, and 15 to apply the tangerine you can go through 1,000,000 emails. And the tangerine is pretty useful if you have to reply to any of them.

Knowing your purpose helps you get a lot of stuff done pronto. It doesn't just apply to PhotoReading it is something a proficient PhotoReader realises. My why for my emails is different for the accounts I handle. I don't even have to think about it anymore it's pretty standard. Knowing why I'm doing it helps me stay focused and skip the emails that are interesting in the entertainment sense and get priority work done. Focus. Then I come back to personal entertainment, interest emails which also find their way into work accounts because focus gets things done faster, rather than switching state.

So for some, first thing might be purpose of looking for any emails from ones superior/ internal/ admin, so that any internal issues are known and address first. It might be to locate correspondence from suppliers that you look a first because you need to be sure everything is ready for the bosses meeting in the next town. It depends on you're job and what you're doing. You open your emails with a purpose. If you just open it with a going to look what's there, you're going to have a lot of emails you don't know what to do with.If you're the many people with 100s of emails and subscription emails that you haven't opened or deleted from your inbox, then you've lost your why, why you signed up for them in the first place.

If you want to clear your inbox, check what's your purpose. You will be able to delete a lot and act on the ones that are important.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved