Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cosmo Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello Alex,

Almost 2 yrs back you had adviced me to try freenoting without post viewing the book. Now I am using freenoting to activate books, why would we skip postview and directly freenote after photoreading? Because we can freenote on virtually unlimited topics if not given a direction with mind probing question or some trigger words.

Also, as compared to sharp precision of superreading and dipping how will I know if I the information I explored with freenote was indeed from this book and not my mind made it up?

my experience so far with freenoting-

I photoread a couple of novels and freenoted one, twice a day for 4 days, my mind would explore the stories in so much depth, even the author had not written the stories in that depth. Though writing and typing seems tedious task to do, the efforts fade in comparison to the clarity and understanding we get from freenoting.

Thanks
Cosmo

Learning Strategies Admin

Quote:
Now I am using freenoting to activate books, why would we skip postview and directly freenote after photoreading? Because we can freenote on virtually unlimited topics if not given a direction with mind probing question or some trigger words.

Your question indicates a lack of purpose. If you have no purpose do take the time to Postview and find where you want to start and how your purpose has changed. This will give your freenoting direction.

Quote:
Also, as compared to sharp precision of superreading and dipping how will I know if I the information I explored with freenote was indeed from this book and not my mind made it up?

Experience, purpose and superreading and dipping to check

Quote:
I photoread a couple of novels and freenoted one, twice a day for 4 days, my mind would explore the stories in so much depth, even the author had not written the stories in that depth. Though writing and typing seems tedious task to do, the efforts fade in comparison to the clarity and understanding we get from freenoting.

Since you're applying it to novels and probably writing a novel of your own. The answer to your previous question... why does it matter?

Novels are usually written for reader enjoyment. If you want to enjoy the novel as the author wrote it one would rapid read it at some point.

Alex

Cosmo Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello Alex,

Whenever I freenoted without postview, I had a tough time writing more. I just couldnt write more than 15 minutes in the context without having some directions.

As for novels, my purpose was to quickly activate them without having to rapid read for 3-4 hours to understand them.

Thanks,
Cosmo

That's because your forgetting to ask questions. If you want answers ask questions of yourself. You finished a section of freenoting, ask another question based on ideas from what you've written.

Why are you in a hurry to activate novels? If you're doing it for literary study you'd have a few specific reasons for activation. Do it in layers. You don't have to spend 3 or 4 hours if you have a clear purpose it can take 5 minutes to get the answers to that.

If you have more to learn from the book, check your purpose.

Take care of your purpose and your purpose takes care of your reading.

See the PhotoReading book and read the Einstein next to deciding your purpose. (A challenge for you, I'm suggesting you activate the PhotoReading book to find how you can set a useful purpose.)

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved