Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8984 12/18/05 09:25 AM
OP Offline

Hi,

I am looking for more info about the languages courses.
What kind of competency level can be expected? What is the course like (i.e. is it interactive or just talking into your ears?) How fast can they be learnt? Any records of success stories?

I have some knowledge of french, enough to hold a very simple conversation. Will the course expand upon this?

Thanks.

#8985 12/20/05 03:58 PM

Hi. I got the EasyLearn in order to learn a bit of German, a language I always felt would be the hardest for me to learn. (I already speak English, Greek, French and Italian).

With the course you get 3 languages: German, Spanish & French. Expect to learn about 800 words from each language, which is a good start.

You also get a special Paraliminal CD with 2 sessions. They work with any language learning. In session A you create an anchor to put you in the right state for learning the new language, and in session B you let go of anxieties that you might have relating to using the language in particular situations (eg. you get anxious when you want to order food in your new langauge at a restaurant and you want to eliminate this). Both sessions are excellent and I believe they helped me get over the "German is impossible to learn" belief I used to hold.

Each language has 12 short stories of about 10mins each. In the 1st story most of the story is in English, but every now and then you hear a word both in English and your target language. As you go through the stories, more and more of the words you hear are in the new langauge, and less and less in English. In German, for example, by the 3rd lesson you start getting complete sentences in German.

My experience with the German course:
It is very relaxing and an easy way of learning a new language, but it is not as easy as "just listen to the 12 stories" and in 2 hours you know 800 new words... I listen to each story many times. The first time while relaxing with my eyes shut. Then I relisten, but this time following the script in the book. Then I relisten, and actually write down everything I learn in my notepad. Then I listen to it once more following the drawings (mind map) in the book, etc... so I listen to each story at least 6 times (and it might take up to 6 days) before I feel comfortable to proceed to the next session.

In the book, in each lesson, you also get a small bit of grammar to support your learning. But unlike other courses that give you all the grammar and rules first, here the emphasis is on learning the rules automatically, the way you learned how to speak your native language...

After session 3 I also combined this course with the German course by Michel Thomas (see Amazon.com) which offers a different approach. Combining these two different approaches (both very effective), I have now been able to communicate with German people and actually enjoy learning more. I have surprised people in how quickly I was able to start speaking the language. A have a friend who has been doing German for 2 years and was surprised at what I already know... she thinks I must be a gifted language learner, whereas actually, I always used to believe that learning a new language is something I'm not good at.

If you, as you say, already have some knowledge of French, then you might find that the French EasyLearn course is perfect both for refreshing the knowledge you already have, and for learning new stuff. I recommend this course and you might also want to look at the courses by Michel Thomas. Combining them is very effective.

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved