Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#87588 05/30/18 08:12 PM
OP Offline

When rapid reading, I cannot move my eyes fast enough as I still keep vocalizing words. Any tips on how to stop vocalizing?

I read somewhere it says if you chew gums it helps, but I don't like to chew gums. Anyway you can stop/avoid vocalizing without using external tools?

Thanks! :-)

I don't think there is a way that has worked for the masses, to completely stop/avoid subvocalization.

The more you practice SuperReading & Dipping, the easier it becomes to keep your awareness on the top half of the words in a sentence, and moving through the upper area of each word just slow enough to recognize the word and meaning, but fast enough where you don't have a chance to start subvocalizing.

It's okay to subvocalize during Rapid Reading. But as soon as you feel you've gotten what you need from the page, or the material seems to begin repeating itself, pick up and keep moving forward.

OP Offline

Thank you Dana for your help. I was amazing how much just reading top half the words helps to speed up the reading! So glad to have learned this tip from the PhotoReading book. Just by doing that, my reading speed is already much faster.

I will keep practicing :-)

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved