Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9912 08/13/04 12:02 AM
Kimwday Offline OP
OP Offline

I would like to share my 7 goals with someone and get feedback. Would this be an appropriate forum? I'd be glad to exchange ideas with others.

Kim

#9913 08/13/04 09:51 AM
Learning Strategies Admin

Kim, go for it.

Ideas and insights are always welcomed, the participants of the forums often benefit by helping others. We can often see the hardships we're creating for ourselves when we have someone talk about a similar problem.

Alex

#9914 08/13/04 02:30 PM
Kimwday Offline OP
OP Offline

Okay. Here goes. I'm mostly interested in whether I'm being specific enough at this level:

1. I choose my financial independence and debt-free lifestyle.

2. I choose a career that expresses and values my intelligence, creativity, and passion for justice.

3. I choose to be an expressive, loving, wise, and happy person.

4. I choose to live a life that gives me the time and financial resources to satisfy my mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual needs.

5. I choose a life that expresses peace and order.

6. I choose a life where I feel valued for my contributions.

7. I choose to expand the quality and quantity of my positive relationships with others.

Let me know if I've crowded too much into some of these and whether I need to be more specific in some way -- or any other feedback you have to offer.

Kim

#9915 08/14/04 04:10 AM

Do you feel that you are being specific enough?

To me a few of those choices would mean nothing. So I trust that you have quantified and determined measures that will provide evidence of their achievement?

Are you using words that you can relate to?

E.g. 7. I choose to expand the quality and quantity of my positive relationships with others. (for me personally that sounds new age fluffy. I would have no idea how I can know I've improved my "positive relationships" That's possibly because I do have great ongoing relationships with family, friends and acquaintances.) What really throws me for a loop on that one is the word "expand" it implies a future tense (that is it's not a statement of the present).

Nimber 2 also for me implies a future tense probably because you wrote "a career" rather than 'my career' along with the omission of the name of the career.

Number 3 is outside the self you're talking 3rd tense. In a sense this is pushing it to a future self.

You wrote "I choose to be an expressive, loving, wise, and happy person."

I would write ...
I choose to be expressive, loving, wise and happy.

4 similar problem "to live a life that gives me... financial resources to..." again implies a future tenses.

I'd write it...
I choose to enjoy my life and have the time and financial resources that satisfies my mental, physicial, emotional and spiritual needs.

5. again change 'a life' to 'my life'

6 I would write I choose my life and feel valued for my contributions

To say, a life, a/an ... person is taking it out of present tense, subtly implying that we haven't got it yet and will keep it out there as long as we express it as out there.

Alex

#9916 08/14/04 02:18 PM

These are two of my goals, just to give people a sense of where I am on the "specificity scale"

1. My own successful home-based business
Provides an income that allows me to easily support myself and to enjoy my favorite activities and pleasures
A business that allows me to work with high-vibration, agreeable, positive, and competent people
A business that involves me doing what I love and utilizes my native skills
A business that offers a product/service that serves a large number of people and/or companies

2. 3-Bedroom or larger house, in Oregon.
A pool and a Sauna in the backyard
Central Air conditioning
A Fireplace
A Master bedroom
Two-story, and a large room on the top floor to serve as an office, with a view, from a nearby foyer, to a nearby Lake
A veterinarian within 15 miles.

#9917 08/14/04 04:35 PM
Kimwday Offline OP
OP Offline

I appreciate the feedback. I will make some changes and post them again. I can see I avoided being specific in a few areas, in parts because I have some believe barriers to overcome -- in others because I didn't want to short change myself with a limited vision.

Thanks for your help.

Kim

#9918 08/14/04 10:14 PM

Steve,

I have a 'future tense' sense from part of your gaol.

"A business that allows me to work with high-vibration, agreeable, positive, and competent people."

Say It is... or better 'in the business I work with...'

Future tense...
" A business that involves me doing what I love and utilizes my native skills"

Consider more present tense.
'The' or why now "My business involves me..."

Future tense
"A business that offers a product/service that serves a large number of people and/or companies"

Consider..
'My business offers product and services that serve a large number of people and companies''

Your house...
Future tense implied since you added "or larger..."

perhaps
'My spacious house in...' (leave out the number of rooms we can take it for granted that you're not even going to look at a house with less than 3 rooms)

'Has a pool...
The master bedroom has (built in robes, mirrored, ensuite, view of the pool and sauna....easy access to the pool and sauna, your pick just making a point if you want to mention the master bedroom why not deck it out as if you've already got it?)

Future tense
"Two-story, and a large room on the top floor to serve as an office, with a view, from a nearby foyer, to a nearby Lake

Consider
The top floor of the two storey house has a large room that serves as an office with a view from the foyer of the lake nearby.

Future tense by implication
"A veterinarian within 15 miles.'

The veterinarian is within 15 miles of home.

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex K. Viefhaus (edited August 14, 2004).]

#9919 08/14/04 11:23 PM

All right. Here are 2 of my goals combine in one statement:

I choose to walk in the world as Richard loving I am an awesome trader, doing it my way, as a World Class Gentleman I am. I passionately net mms/year easily from transactions. I feel free, outrageous, can do it, in my possibilities, determine, confident, and awe about my whole life now.

Richard

[This message has been edited by fvtrader (edited August 14, 2004).]

#9920 08/16/04 08:53 PM
Kimwday Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks again for your feedback, Alex. Let me see if this is closer to the mark:

My Choices

2. I choose to enjoy the creativity and energy of hosting the most listened-to radio talk show in the Northwest.

3. I am an expressive, loving, wise, and happy person.

4. I have the time and financial resources to satisfy my mental, physical, and emotional needs.

5. My life expresses as joy, peace, and order.

6. I am clearly valued for my contributions at work.

7. I am a good friend. I am surrounded by close and intimate friends. Their values and ideals complement my own. They cherish my company and I cherish theirs.

#9921 08/17/04 06:35 AM

Kim,

I still sense a push of the future tense in your "affirmations" (My comments will hopefully give us an idea why affirmations don't work because of our hidden future tense) They must be stated as in the present as already having existence.

quote:
Originally posted by Kimwday:
Thanks again for your feedback, Alex. Let me see if this is closer to the mark:

My Choices

Works fine

quote:
2. I choose to enjoy the creativity and energy of hosting the most listened-to radio talk show in the Northwest.

future tense the way it's written implies this isn't a reality yet.

try changing, 'hosting the most listened-to...'

to Hosting my most...

Taking ownership will bring it into the present.

quote:
3. I am an expressive, loving, wise, and happy person.

Again this is future tense because it describes someone else not someone who you are now.

notice
An expressive person (if you're not auditory say it out loud and notice your reaction) Your mind will as who is.. and then go on an evidence hunting excursion often you don't come up on the list.

I am an expressive person... has much the same effect, only now the mind goes on a hunting trip to prove how you are an expressive person and if you're making such an affirmation then there is by default a hint of doubt that this is true so the mind will find evidence that you are not.

Say
I am expressive. No hunting trip because the comparison flag is not there and the mind can simply take this as fact... more over it will be able to come up with examples that you are.

So for this choice just delete, 'an... person' and say

"I am expressive, loving, wise, and happy."

quote:
4. I have the time and financial resources to satisfy my mental, physical, and emotional needs.

The implication here is that while you may have the time you're not necessarily applying it.

Consider
'My time and financial resources satisfy my mentalm physical and emotional needs.

quote:
. My life expresses as joy, peace, and order.

Again the words expresses as... implies future tense because it says you don't own it yet.

Try...
'I choose my life of joy, peace and order.'

quote:
6. I am clearly valued for my contributions at work.

How do you know? This sounds a little abstract to me.

Personally I would say something like...
'I notice that my contributions at work are highly valued.' (this is more true for me that is not to say that your wording is any less effective for you if you know how you know when this has been met)

quote:
7. I am a good friend. I am surrounded by close and intimate friends. Their values and ideals complement my own. They cherish my company and I cherish theirs.

Works for me as is

fvtrade
Your affirmations work for me to.

Alex

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved