Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9966 08/22/04 11:08 AM
OP Offline

I work all day with computers and spend a lot of time thinking through problems as part of my job which means I spend a lot of time in my head. So I quite often find it difficult to tune into what I'm feeling in the moment.

Any suggestions for getting out of my head and into my body to better be able to tune into my feelings?

#9967 08/22/04 08:40 PM

Scan your body now! What did you feel when you saw someone had replied?

what do you feel now emotionally and physically?

I find going for a walk with the intention to notice my feelings helps. Like what feelings came up as you just read this suggestion?

I listen to one of the many AFL CDs tracks address feelings to increase my feeling awareness. It's a journey for me. I am laughing more at my seriousness and that frees my energy to more easily do my mental work. Wonderful how crazy life is.

Best.
Richard

#9968 08/24/04 06:47 AM

I used to have trouble feeling my feelings, like "how am I supposed to "feel" them. It implies some sort of action or task and then I just ended up getting frustrated and not being able to feel them. But I've learned through life experience and reading various books that if you have nonjudgemental awareness of your inner sensations(this kind of takes the confusion or analyzing out so you can get to the root of the feelings themselves, not the mechanical arguments as to why you feel that way, just the "feelings and sensations in your body".) and the world around you then any stuckness will naturally fall away, it's fail safe. Feel where the feelings are in your body and then let that energy just move where it needs to go, you can use your hand to guide sometimes as well.

#9969 08/24/04 07:40 AM
Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

You know it's funny but when you say something like I get frustrated you're identifying a feeling with a label. Take it from there. Explore what you just labeled. Being in the head is a feeling, explore that feeling.

What worked for me was a variation of Paul's instructions. Instead of saying feel the colour of the feeling it was,'If this feeling had a colour what colour would it be?. If it had a shape what shape would it be?" and for getting a feel for the size the question I asked 'If this feeling has a size what sized/type of container would I need to put it in?' So if you get stuck on Paul's saying notice the... try changing it for yourself to the question If it had a ... what would it be? Now you are describing your feeling without labeling it. Now when I hear Paul my mind just jumps to the answers.

Alex

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved