Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Now I'm REALLY struggling. Most of the time when I scan myself for a feeling, I find just neutrality - no specific feeling. So I work as best I can with that - but it's really difficult to get excited about neutrality.

If I had a "solid" feeling to work with I'm sure I could do the excersise but since this is central to the course I feel that I must get it right.

Any advice here would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Antlantis, I can empathise with you, my problem is somwhat in the opposite sense, my feelings are always so hard to define, sometimes it's neutral but mostly it's a mixture of all sorts, it's anger, fraustration, excitement and even hope all mixed up. My problem is can you feel all of these at once, and when instructed to feel 'the' feeling does that mean I have to choose one, what if I can't make up my mind exactly what I'm feeling?
But my real problem is how do I feel it once I've detached it from the label, How can you feel anger when you've removed the label of anger from it, How do I generate appreciation or love for the is feeling? (which most times I didn't clarify in the first place)
Most of the time I think the feeling is in my gut but I'm not really sure, how can you be sure where this feeling is coming from?
And the feeling the texture, colour and shape of the feeling??
I do try, to go along with it but I usually just think the same all the time, or make it up as I go, so it doesn't feel like I'm REALLY feeling it just making it up as I go so I don't convince myself and I feel like I'm not doing it right.
Saying all of that, I feel better at the end of the exercise only, now I'm starting to feel more and more like I'm not doing it right and that it will eventually affect the success I get form the program as a whole.
It's a bit of a ramble I know but it's really been bugging me.
I need to be certain I'm doing it right before I can make it a habit or part of my life.

OP Offline

Hi Tseme,

THhanks for your reply to my post.

I guess we all have our own problems with feelings and it seems to me that when we try to "get over" these problems we are half way to doing it "right".

I suspect that you should not try to detach one feeling from the bunch because doing so effectively labels it. The important thing here (as you know) being to experience the feeling or feelings without any label or judgement. That way it (or they) become OUR OWN feelings rather than a specific feeling that we have "picked up" from our experiences. And that is what matters.

You can feel the sensations that make up a feeling of anger etc., without the label and this is precisely the point. When you take away the label, with it you take away the judgement. You still feel the tight muscles, heavy breathing, splitting socks, but because you refuse to label it as anger you also refuse to be drawn into the guilt or whatever other judgement you use as a stick to beat yourself with for feeling anger.

Trying to focus in this very moment helps, I find, since many feelings are generated by thoughts of the past or future. If I can feel what I'm feeling at this very instant, that for me clears much of the "feeling fog".

I THINK that going through the motions is good because even if you're not totally happy with what you're doing, the practice can only help.

I find it really useful to do the feeling excercise many times a day and if a really dominant feeling pops up I stop everything and do the excersise. (Could be a problem if I were a brain surgeon, but fortunately I'm not!!).

When I feel a feeling, I scan my body from head to toe, noticing but not dwelling on every sensation as I go. So like you I may have a feeling in my gut. I may also have a possibly unrelated tingling in my leg . I acknowledge that too because tht's part of the way I feel at this moment - so it's valid for inclusion. As for the colour, shape etc., of the feeling, and the vibration... I try to climb "inside" myself and experience the feeling in as many ways as I can. And I think that's all you can do. Try to get as much detail about the feeling as you are able and work with that. If you were an untrained observer viewing a landscape you'd observe far less than someone who had had lots of practice. But your observational skills WOULD grow in time. I think we'll find this to be true with our observation of our feelings.

The foregoing may not have too much merit. I have only been practising this for a very short time and others may be of far more help than I can be with my limited experience. Nevertheless hope it helps. And again, thanks for replying to my post.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Cheers, Atlantis (Real name Ed)

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

Look for the energy in the feeling and when you do notice it realise you have the choice how to use it.

Alex

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved