Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10647 11/29/05 11:35 AM
OP Offline

Hi everyone,
Would really appreciate any input you guys and gals may have regarding which goal to choose as my next goal.
I currently work at a place where I have mixed feelings in terms of job satisfaction:
I teach at a high school in the city.
There are some aspects of my job and perks : I currently enjoy:
interaction with students,
regular time with family (evenings and school vacations)
steady income
There are also some aspects of my job I don’t really enjoy:
Managing challenging students
Early start to school day ( 7:20 am each morning)
Heavy marking load.
And the list goes on.

I have considered leaving my current employment a few times but am always stumped:
What should I go?
I have perused various career switching books but am stumped how I should proceed: there are only possibilities and possibilities but how to proceed?

I don’t even know what kind of goal should I set for AFL in this area.
Should it be for creating fulfillment and job satisfaction where I already am?
(eg. I choose to create deeply fulfilling work experiences at xxx school that I will eagerly look forward to work every morning, be deeply engaged in doing this work, and enjoy free time each day I can spend by myself and with my family.- a goal that sounds great but I’m not sure I want to stay in teaching forever…)
Or should I be setting goals that would get me out of my current industry into something totally new?
(eg. I allow myself to successfully create a career in x industry by getting a job that fully supports my current financial goals/objectives (family needs, bi-annual holidays, extras, savings for investment for retirement) by end of year 2006.
I’m not even sure which industry or job I should change to…I have a passion for training and helping others and am wondering what else I can be doing with my God-given gifts?
The last time I tried to incorporate into one goal a single statement that included both staying on in my current job and perhaps moving on to something new (it seemed to pull me in different directions.)
Where to begin guys? If I set a goal for staying on at my current job, would that not limit my access to abundance? (is there something better out there that I should be doing?…)
If I set a goal for a job shift, then to what job/industry? How do I create when I don’t know enough about xyz industries/jobs to make a good decision to even set a goal to transit into that job/industry?
Any advice would be much appreciated…

#10648 11/29/05 07:43 PM

Hi Curious1,

How long have you been teaching? Do you want to stay in education/development area as you have a passion for training & teaching. Have you ever looked into the Internet industry? Most successful people are duplicating their ideas and training others. If you only work for someone else for your whole life, would it give you satisfaction?

#10649 11/29/05 10:01 PM
Learning Strategies Admin

Curious1,

Since you're not sure what would be a good replacement for the job you have why not list as you've done all the things about the job that you like and would like to keep. Make a list of all the things you'd like to change. E.G more flexible starting time. Then do the 4th Path Paraliminal. Descide if there is a goal in that for you (to change your career).

If yuo decide you want to change your career focus on the things you'd like to have in your new career. Then do the labyrinth Paraliminal. Look for new opportunities while in your current job. Often the new career grows out of something you're doing on the side.

Alex

#10650 11/30/05 02:17 AM
OP Offline

Hi DesertSphinx,
I have been in education for about 6 years. I guess you kind of hit the nail on the head when you mentioned I should consider starting my own business. I do have a desire to start my own training and consultancy company sometime in the future. I had never really considered doing this through the internet though. Sounds intriguing. How do I get started moving in that direction without leaving my current job?

Hi Alex,
I will definitely do a list of likes and dislikes for my current job and play with it from there. Thanks for your valuable input!

#10651 11/30/05 04:01 AM
OP Offline

Hi Alex,
Just got through the Fourth Path Paraliminal. Still feel positive about the possibility of making a career change. I feel good about exploring a career in training and consulting. You recommended that I then listen to Labyrinth paraliminal to get ideas about where to go from there:
"focus on the things you'd like to have in your new career. Then do the labyrinth Paraliminal. Look for new opportunities while in your current job. Often the new career grows out of something you're doing on the side."
Am wondering, instead of listening to the labyrinth paraliminal as a next step, should I go ahead with the 7 Step Creative Process?
So lets say, my career change goal is, "I choose to create a career in training and consulting that offers me regular working hours, free time in evenings and weekends, a stable income, and flexible starting time."
Should I use the labyrinth paraliminal now, or do step 2, which is visualization?
( And incidentally, how do I perform, step 2: visualization if I were still not clear about starting a career in training and consulting?!)
Thanks again, for taking time to answer…..

#10652 11/30/05 04:46 AM

Do the Seven-Step process and be very detailed at step one about your choices.

If you don't know what images whould be there go for the feelings that would be there when you've reached your goal.

The Labyrinth Paraliminal will help with clarity of what the image should look like if that's what you're looking for.

Alex

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved