Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I find it interesting that meditation is being used for cross-purposes:

1. AFL (and other similar Westernized abundance philosophies): use meditation to achieve more, more, more in life. Success is complete fulness and satisfaction of all material desires.

2. Buhhdism (and other similar Eastern philosophies): use meditation to achieve less, less, less in life. Success is complete emptiness and detachment from all material desires.

Is this a classic example of Ying-Yang, or perhaps I'm missing something?

hartreefoch, that is a good question. I am not sure that Buddhism and the other Eastern philosophies so much as try to achieve less and less. Their basic premise is every living being basically seeks happiness. In the seeking of happiness there are so many illusions (maya), one of which, is that possessing material goods above and beyond what needs will bring one happiness. Buddhism also says that the prime cause for suffering is the ego, which is constantly seeking power and pleasure through material possessions. By practising meditation, one comes comes to that realization, and in the ultimate state of enlightenment, when the ego is transcended, one experiences that ultimate state of bliss. But the being can still live a normal life with material possessions,but without the constant craving of the ego.

I think courses such as AFL are also oriented in the same direction, because through the practice of the exercises,and the meditation,I think one will come to the realization that the true abundance and prosperity lies within oneself and with one's relationships, and not in the blind pursuit of external material goals.

Currently there is a whole new genre of books and courses whose primary focus is on "manifestation" of either material objects or relationships. I think these come more under the category of "spiritual materialism", than true spirituality .

[This message has been edited by InquiringMind (edited April 17, 2006).]

OP Offline

InquiringMind,

Thanks for your response. I appreciate your perspective and balanced view.

Ah, to experience the "ultimate state of bliss!"

Hi hartreefoch,

I guess my balanced views come from being originally from the East and living in the West, and asking exactly the same questions you are asking!

Keep up the questioning - it is very refreshing, and good for all!

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved