Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#10903 05/08/06 01:19 PM
Eagle Offline OP
OP Offline

The recently released DVD "The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio" could justifiably be packaged with the AFL program. In fact, perhaps it should.
Erroneously billed as a comedy it will be viewed by most on a superficial level. Those who realize we are all gods who literally create our own reality will appreciate the depth of the TRUE story of this remarkable woman, a mother of 10.
You see her manifesting her needs almost with the immediacy reminiscent of the nose-twtiching witch of "Bewitched."
This is a woman who could have been angry, bitter and negative, yet she lives in the now and embraces every setback and adversity.
At the same time you see her husband realizing his own negative beliefs,lack of self-esteem and feelings of impotence.
See this movie and the teachings of AFL, Seth (for those familiar with him) and Maxwell Maltz jump off the screen.
Highly recommended!!!

[This message has been edited by Alex K. Viefhaus (edited May 08, 2006).]

#10904 05/13/06 05:16 AM

I took Eagle's advice and added the movie to my Netflix queue. I remember listening to an interview on Fresh Air that featured the author of the book (this exceptional woman's daughter - yes, it's a true story) a couple of years ago, but had forgotten about it. An uncommonly good movie and very inspirational as well - the mother's positive spirit and quick wit, not to mention her astounding level of compassion for her alcoholic husband, does bring home the message that by avoiding the traps of cynicism and despair, anything can be achieved.

Thanks for the heads up Eagle. Note: Probably not for cynics who will find something/anything to refute and therefore miss the magic contained within the story. I feel that some people in these forums are striving very hard not to be had, "I will not be had, people are out to take advantage" seems to be a strong belief. Is consistently being the devil's advocate a particularly proactive position to be in?

It is hard to argue that positive expectation is a tremendous force after witnessing such a credible display as is portrayed in this film.

You really do see law of attraction principles in action. Even when her self-destructive husband manages to bring the family down in some way, she succeeds in turning things back to her favor. She simply does not buy into his story, and never feels sorry for herself. She also finds this optimistic attitude of her's acutely practical. And indeed it is - as Earl Nightingale say's, "you are what you think about." At one point you see that she has a framed affirmation crafted in needlepoint hanging on her wall that reads, "The harder I work, the luckier I get." I love that. Well, I guess your affirmation does have to be believable if your going to accept it, though I don't think, personally, that I would start any affirmation with, the harder I work!

#10905 05/13/06 09:07 AM

Hi there,
Many thanks for letting me know about this film. I had never heard of it before. I belong to lovefilm.com for my postal movie rentals but it doesn't seem to list the film. Where else could I get it from? (it might be a wee bit harder to get in Europe but that shouldn't be a reason for me not trying to find it!) Could you perhaps give me any advice?

Incidentally, if you enjoy watching films, a truly inspiring and beautiful film is "The Man Who Planted Trees". It's based on a book and is actually an animation - I think it might have won an Oscar a number of years ago. It is a story of how one man can make a huge difference and really reminds us what impact each individual can make on the world if he or she strives to live with positivity, honesty, simplicity and integrity.

If you can't get that film - Princess Mononoke is also a beautiful Japanese animation with a life-affirming message - it might be easier to get hold of.
lots of love
Ingrid

#10906 05/13/06 01:35 PM
Eagle Offline OP
OP Offline

Ingrid
Try a movie rental store in your country. Otherwise, you could probably buy it online from an outlet such as Amazon.com.
Definitely see it and compare your experience and insight with Levitateme and my own.
I heard of "The Man Who Planted Trees" and that it is very good. It wil now go onto my must see list.
From your name I would have thought you were Swedish but I see that you live in Ireland. A Swede in Ireland perhaps?
I note too your interest in animals. For many years I have been an animal rights activist. I used to think I was the only vegetarian Native American but there are many.
Louis Eagle Warrior

[This message has been edited by Eagle (edited May 13, 2006).]

#10907 05/13/06 01:43 PM
Eagle Offline OP
OP Offline

Levitateme
A very creative name. Glad that you found "Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio" so gratifying and insightful. It's sad that it is billed as a comedy. I guess that's the only appeal it would have to the general population, or as I (admitedly cynically) refer to them, "the masses of asses."
And right on about the beginning of her affirmation.
I found her and her story absolutely incredible. It was a living textbook.
Louis Eagle Warrio

#10908 05/14/06 05:26 AM

Princess Mononoke - our 11 yr old son has latched onto this movie this past week ! Says it is his new favorite movie (replacing Star Wars). He rented it, watched it several times and now we've purchased it - had to get it on eBay, as it is old enough I could not find it in the stores. Should be here in time for his birthday. Now I'll have to watch it too I tend to not watch any movies nor TV - but I'll make an exception this time.

This will give us another connection - as he loves to share his passions with us. And tried to get us to watch this movie with him and we did not.

Thanks for your input, as I figured it was just another entertaining movie and had no interest in watching (I usually dislike Japanese Anime) Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with relaxing and entertaining movies on occasion.

This is the power of the AFL program - Another connection with my family (one of my goals is family)

Any other good films out there that relates to AFL that we could watch as a family (2 adults and a 11 yr old) ? Our son is highly dyslexic and learns really well from film.

Again, thank you for the tip,
Lisa

#10909 05/13/06 11:42 PM

Hi Lisa,
I'm really glad that you have made such a positive connection on this forum!
If your son likes "Princess Mononoke" (what good taste he has!), I would also recommend other work by the Japanese director Miyazaki - perhaps the recent "Spirited Away"? Also, I would definitely recommend "The Iron Giant" - it is another very touching, animated family film, also with an inspiring socio-cultural and environmental message. Unfortunately it just didn't get the marketing from Warner Bros. the year it was released but it's an excellent film all the same - a "wee gem of a fillum" as we would say in Belfast!
If I can think of any others I'll let you know...
best wishes
Ingrid :0)

#10910 05/13/06 11:52 PM

By the way Lisa, my work is actually centred around re-engaging children and young people in education through use of creative technologies including animation, film and documentary. We often work with children with learning difficulties and find that they respond very well to multiple stimuli and a flexible, fun approach to learning. If you would like to find out more about us, visit our website www.studio-on.org.uk, or e-mail me (I think it's on my profile). There are many ways to connect with the ones you love and half the adventure is trying new and fun ways to do it!
lots of love
Ingrid
(PS: I'm always amazed at how much I constantly learn from the young people I work with - I also find that those individuals who face learning difficulties of their own are often the best people to help me face and overcome mine!)

#10911 05/14/06 12:15 AM

Hi Eagle,
Close but not quite - not Swedish but Austrian! My mother grew up in Vienna and moved to Belfast in 1969 (interesting time to move to Northern Ireland I might add - but she stayed!). So I was brought up bilingual and know how to make dumplings as well as an Ulster Fry!
I love animals too and recently turned vegetarian. When I have eaten meat in the past, I have tried to know where it's come from and have avoided eating meat from animals that weren't organically raised.

I have actually referred to an inspiring book and magazine on a number of occasions in some recent posts which you might be interested in. The magazine is Resurgence edited by Satish Kumar, who also wrote the book "You are therefore I am - a declaration of dependence". Kumar's approach to environmentalism is inspired by Gandhi and Schumacher's "Small is Beautiful". Kumar himself was a Jain monk before moving to the UK. He has a heartening and holistic approach to ecology and highlights the importance of gradually transforming our infrastructures of production and consumption to help build harmony amongst ourselves as a species and also between ourselves and the many other species we share the planet with.
You can look this stuff up on Google if it interests you. Thanks for your message.
best wishes
Ingrid :0)

#10912 05/14/06 01:16 AM
Eagle Offline OP
OP Offline

Ingrid
I became a vegetarian for humanitarian reasons, as I suspect you did, but the health and enviromental benefits are also quite compelling.
It is bothersome hearing Scheele refer to his hunting or fishing. It strikes me as bizarre that one would find killing to be a relaxing activity. Or that anyone could put a positive spin of any kind on harming non-human animals.
One of the many, many negatives about eating meat is that you are taking in or ingesting all that fear and other bad karma.
I appreciate the resource material you pointed out and will definitely look into it.
I saw "Iron Giant" several years ago and it was very good. A touching story.
Louis Eagle Warrior

[This message has been edited by Eagle (edited May 13, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Eagle (edited May 14, 2006).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved