Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11920 03/09/02 01:01 AM
OP Offline

There is a saying "Where you are in five years all depends on the books you read and the people you meet" ...

This being said. I'm activly pursuing reading good/great/fantastic/out of this world books to better myself and to set the example for my kids.

It would be very appreciated if the forum members could share some of their all time favorite books and give a brief description as to how it has enhanced your life.

#11921 03/09/02 07:25 AM

Psycho-Cybernetics--Maxwell Maltz

how to reprogram your whole mind

The Lucifer Principle--Howard Bloom

will completely challenge all your beliefs about the world, society, religion and culture. Gauranteed.

The Six Pillars of Self Esteem--Nathaniel Branden

Gets to the core of why you don't feel like a superhero and how to change it.

Virus of the Mind--Richard Brodie

The thoughts in your mind, are they yours?

INFLUENCE, Science and Practice--Cialdini

Seven LAWS that make people do things
extensive research to back them up.

The Magic of Metaphor--Nick Owen

1-2 page stories that are full of hidden meaning for your other-than-conscious-mind

Frogs Into Princes--Bandler and Grinder

and everything else they wrote

How to Make Money in Stocks -William O'Neil

From the first page:

"Success in a free country is simple.
Get a job, get an education, and learn to save and invest wisely.
Anyone can do it.
You can do it."

How To Win Friends and Influence People--Dale Carnegie

put these principles into practice and and, and, jeepers, you will win friends and influence people. Easy read, very powerful.

When I say NO I feel Guilty--Manuel Smith

THE classic on assertiveness. I've been told in NLP seminars that Assertiveness training is the same as Lonliness training, and thats true with 99% of the assertiveness stuff out there, but Smith is different.

You learn to acknowledge others' views, and calmly state yours in a manner that doesn't negate the others' or negate yours.
It truly gives you power, without taking power from others, and is very simple.

The Power of Your Subconscious Mind--Joseph Murphy

More like Maltz.

How I Found Freedom In An Unfree World--Harry Brown

Great way if seeing how you can become truly independant.

Against the Gods--Bernstein

great history of the risk and the history of the human interpretation of it. Helps the reader to really evaluate what is risky and what is only percieved as risky.

How I Made $2,000,000 In The Stock Market---Nicolas Darvas

how a professional dancer made 2 mil in the markets by a simple method. Similar to O'Neils Method. (written in the 50's)

I could go on but after learning how to photoread, I figured out that every book on the planet has some value to me. I can use it somehow. I might get value from skimming through it in the bookstore for 30 seconds, or I might get that value from taking it home and photoreading it several times.
And then activating it several times.
And then re-reading it several times.

I learned to say to myself "I wonder what I can get from this book" rather than "I wonder what's in this book"

George

#11922 03/10/02 11:56 PM

I can name three of my favorite books that have made a difference in my life:

1. Emotional Clearing by John Ruskan
2. The Power of Now by Eckert Tolle
3. The Course in Miracles

And one more just came to mind:
The Four Agreements

#11923 03/14/02 06:46 AM

Top books for me.

The books that have most formed my sense of self have been exceptional... here they are:

Simon Ley's translation of 'The Analects of Confucius' - very importantly, the other translations of Master Kung Tzu have NONE of the startling intellectual force and emotional clarity of Ley's recreation of Confucius' vitalism. His message of intellectual vitality and the interrelatedness of members of society transforms our world as we speak.

I agree with huttog, and go further.

ANY popular book by Harold Bloom written in the last fifteen years (starting with 'The Anxiety of Influence') is a masterpiece. He traces the genealogy of geniuses and marvels, and represents the gnostic alternative to the angst of our age.

They say the brain creates skills in response to repetition and feedback. I guess then that Michael Hewitt-Gleeson's book 'Newsell' tipped me over the edge into a new way of perceiving ALL thinking and communication. His work in turning memetics, cognitive psychology, and evolutionary theory into practical tools is awesome. I highly recomend his free Speed Thinking Course on the web, at www.thinkers.com

Robert A. Wilson's 'Prometheus Rising', and Antero Alli's 'AngelTech', contain between them one of the most exciting perspectives on the future that I've ever encountered.

Anthony Robbin's 'Awaken The Giant Within' ROCKS, always, in turns of sheer impact and total value-for-money.

I've found personally infleuntial these books

- on wealth, Robert Kiyosaki, see www.richdad.com
- Shakti Gawain's Creative Visualization and Living in the Light, for clarity and luminous beauty.
- Charles Goodwin's 'Secrets of Wealth Creation', which conveys the essence of a tantric reality and the how-to on creating wealth with no startup capital. Find him at www.wealthcreatorsclub.com
- And, agreeing with huttog again, Harry Browne's book: BUT i would add that the writing of Frederick Mann does the great favor of summarising dozens of incredible books, including Browne's work, on www.buildfreedom.com His work I highly recommend.

That's it! Please add any other suggestions for exceptional books.

PS - It goes without saying that, in terms of skills, Paul Scheele's Photoreading book is in my top three. :-)

#11924 03/14/02 03:03 PM

Michael,

Why not going to the On-line books page (http://digital.library.upenn.edu/books/) and stereoreading everything that "rings the bell"? You can even involve your personal wants in your purpose, like "How can this book help me to reach my goals?" (...yeah, I know, I don't have to tell _you_ to do that... ...you would have thought it right away yourself... ...it's just in case there is someone else out there... )

Anyway, I read miles of text from the online book page about 2 years ago and I'm starting to feel the results now... I still go there sometimes .... ... .... .....I'm just waiting what's going to happen in the future....

-Purjo

#11925 03/14/02 03:06 PM

Sorry, the last smiley should have been something like 8) -p

#11926 04/07/02 07:59 AM

Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
(see www.richdad.com)

#11927 04/07/02 11:57 PM

Hi Michael, How about the Bible. This will be a great book to read. It gives us
Basic
Instructions
Before
Leaving
Earth.

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Saikali:
There is a saying "Where you are in five years all depends on the books you read and the people you meet" ...

This being said. I'm activly pursuing reading good/great/fantastic/out of this world books to better myself and to set the example for my kids.

It would be very appreciated if the forum members could share some of their all time favorite books and give a brief description as to how it has enhanced your life.

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved