Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#12261 07/20/02 07:29 PM
OP Offline

hello everybody..

can too much thinking be bad for you.

i realise that if your thinking about the wrong things, it can be. i have experienced this.

u see, my main interests are things like philosophy, politics, psychology. and i realised the other day that i dont spend much time to really focused, concentrated thought on developing well-thought out ideas and strong beliefs and opinions about such matters. my beliefs seem very "loose" and unsupported due to lack of really analysing them in enough depth, and i think this is all due to very vague, light state of thought.

i know that if i spent time really focused upon thinking about such things, i could improve the quality of my arguments, ideas, beliefs, opinions etc. , but are there adverse affects that can spring from this type of hardcore intellectual focus.

i imagine all the great thinkers must have used this type of super-concentrated thinking.

i am thinking of using the new behaviour generator to get me more into this type of focus.

can anyone advise please or add their comments.

thanks.

#12262 07/26/02 12:58 PM

From page 12 of "The Power of Now," by Eckhart Tolle:

"The philosopher Descartes believed that he had found the most fundamental truth when he made his famous statement: "I think, therefore I am." He had, in fact, given expression to the most basic error: to equate thinking with Being and identity with thinking."

"The compulsive thinker, which means almost everyone, lives in a state of apparent separateness, in an insanely complex world of continuous problems and conflict, a world that reflects the ever-increasing fragmentation of the mind."

His message, in my view, is not so much being down on thinking per se (he does say the mind is a great tool once you've learned to use it properly) but to not let thinking and mind identification cheat us out of the only thing we really have - the wonderful present moment.

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved