Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
pveitch Offline OP
OP Offline

Win Wenger, discoverer of image streaming, also writes about held breath underwater swimming as an intelligence increase strategy.

Has anyone tried this? At all? And:

if you've tried it, did you do laps at the pool with your breath held, or did you just sit there underwater holding your breath for the time required?

I have tried to hold my breath as I swim, and find I cannot even get close to Win's couple of minutes. Me: 20 seconds max.

Also, I find the held breath underwater swimming exhausting and difficult to do. Has anyone got tips on making it easier, because it is clearly an excellent strategy for increasing intelligence.

For those who have no idea what I'm on about, the link to this stuff is:
http://www.winwenger.com/ebooks/guaran.htm

Happy reading!

Pveitch

Hello,

I've been swimming since I read Win Wenger's and Alan Poe's book, The Einstein Factor. One thing is for sure, it works, not that I've felt anything, but chess player Kasparov for example, runs 100m races to accomplish the same. And I doubt that he holds breath at all.

For what I read in the book, the increase of CO2 in the blood is what produces the enhance, you don't have to hold your breath, just swim. But maybe I'm wrong of course.

Let's see if anyone else can share his/her knowledge.

Bye!

Not to cast doubt on Mr. Wagner, but you might want to think twice on this one.

When cells are starved for oxygen they start dying. Your brain while only a small portion of your body uses over a quarter of the oxygen you breathe.. going ~4 minutes without oxygen will cause irreversible brain damage and even death.

Swimming = good, exercise = good, doing new things = good

Starving your brain for oxygen and killing brain cells to get a new "high" = bad.

If that’s your goal you can always just sniff paint or drink alcohol, save yourself the trip to the pool.

Fp

PS And to the response "well what about free divers?" - Boxing

Just because people do something (and do it well I might add) doesnt negate the fact that it turns them into drooling idiots.

Yes, I have done this technique and found it to be effective in improving concentration and mental processing.
At the beginning, I wouldn't try to swim while you're doing it, because it will probably be too exhausting to remain underwater for very long while doing aerobic activity. It actually helps at first to keep your body very still and relaxed while holding the breath -- this makes it easier to gradually improve the amount of time you can stay underwater. This can be difficult to do in a swimming pool so you may want to start out in a bathtub.
As far as other techniques to increase the amount of time you can spend underwater, I have found that yoga and chi-gong are very helpful, anything that stretches and promotes the flow of energy in the body, and stabilizes the breath. Pranayama (alternate nostril breathing) is also very helpful in this regard.
The most effective exercise I found was to spend 5 minutes standing on my head, immediately before my underwater sessions. This increases blood flow to the brain and increases the amount of time you can spend underwater.
I achieved good results through this exercice after spending about 20 mintues underwater every day, for about two weeks. Hope this is helpful.

Try this out. See, if this get's the blood running to your brain. But, do not do this standing up or operating a machine. You must be sitting down.

1. Take 20 deep breaths.
2. On, the 20th breath, take in as much air as you can. Hold it with your head tilted back and eyes looking up.
3. When you start to get a feeling in your head, release the air, and lean forward with your head toward the ground. Basically, the position is your head between your knees. Or, for safety reason, you might want to lay down.

Now, that's a high. Oxygen rushing toward your brian.

This technique can make your pass out. And, I don't know if it's even good for you. Personally, I feel it very good for the brian.

If, you feel that the feeling is strong. When you release your air, lay down as soon as possible.

If you try this out let me know what kind of feels come over you. Some times, I get a strong vibration feeling all over my body, and it bring a feeling of pleasure.

Has anyone from LSC tried held breath underwater swimming?

If so does it work and is it dangerous?

Hornet

Administrator
Administrator

Yes, I've used it as an adult. I swim for aerobic exercise 2-3 times per week. I usually take a few minutes to swim underwater for as much of a pool length as possible. Then whenever I swim with my kids, I do it 2 or 3 times. It is not dangerous and I'm not sure what benefit it has provided me. But heck, I'm going to continue it.

In the book "What A Great Idea!" by Charles Thompson, he refers to Yoshiro NakamMats, the creative genius who hold more than 2,300 patents (more than double Edison's). He was the guy who invented the floppy disk, compact disk and disc player, etc. The third and final part of his creative process is performed during held-breath underwater swimming. He created a plexiglas writing pad so he can stay underwater and record his ideas.

Win said he used it as a child all the time and claims it accounts for many positive effects throughout his life.

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved