Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#12489 12/14/02 09:40 PM

I’m finding this whole line of thought very interesting. I was extremely gifted until I was about 16. (Reading Freud & Jung, university physics texts, etc etc before I was 12. In math, I would understand the concept the teacher was introducing merely from looking at the equation he put on the board, and which he would spend the next two or three months explaining to everyone else.) I had many of those characteristics that were listed in a previous post. But I came from a highly dysfunctional home that damaged me severely and squashed me, my personality, my intellect, my being. I’m now working on learning how I learned efficiently back then so I can apply it to increasing my learning ability now, as well as unblocking myself. My brain doesn’t seem to process information as quickly as it once did, it’s no longer automatic and instant absorption of info, and the flashes of brilliant insight are gone. I had no friends (I lived in a small town with close minded peers – my abilities were absolutely not desireable) back then, and I had many teachers who also were very critical of the way I approached learning then (perhaps they were intimidated?) Many of my abilities have been damaged and I no longer have access to them - at this time. I'm hopeful that, with time and effort, I'll be able to get at least some, if not all, back again.

#12490 12/15/02 05:47 AM

Okay. I am very new to all this getting dumber as you get older. I also find it rather intimidating. I'm just a kid who loves theoretical astrophysics and quantum mechanics and from reading previous posts, I'm getting the notion that my passion will wear off. But then, I'm sure there's an explanation for all this. I'll do some research.
Furthermore, you could revive your neurons by excercising them. Just excercising them or practicing what you used to be able to do
would be a wise choice.

Gotenks

#12491 12/15/02 07:03 PM

I don't mean to imply by my previous post that it's inevitable that a person will get dumber as they get older. I simply don't believe that at all. But I do think that, when a person does, it's because of specific triggers. In my case, severe emotional trauma. But I also believe that it's possible to restore some, many, or all of those previous abilities.

It's also not, with me anyway, a case of passion wearing off. I'm still just as interested in archaeology, history, literature, astronomy, physics, whatever as I was before - it's just that I have blocks in place that prevent me from learning as easily and as well as I used to.

Don't lose hope just because some of us have lost those abilities. Focus on retaining yours. Have fun with your gifts and explore your interests as widely as you possibly can.

#12492 12/20/02 12:47 PM

I was pretty gifted as a child. Now I am much older and I am paying the penalty for not having to work so hard on problems.

- got lazy, I suppose -

I was always in opposition with the authorities too; got extra bad if they tried to gag me

I suppose I have refused to be brainwashed by the schoolsystem; and fighting it. I seem to be without the ability to just produce what they want, so I can finish my degree and go on with my life.

- emotionally I think I feel I am selling out if I do, but I want to finish too - I guess I am in a catch 22.

.. gotta do something about that...

#12493 12/20/02 01:33 PM

Don't quit. Don't quit by default and let it drag on. Dig it and finish. Don't filter you work, let them do the filtering. Make them tell you do don't deserve the degree, then prove them wrong. You'll be surprise... they probably wont say you don't deserve it.

Double negatives are useless for NLP, but the idea I'm trying to get at is don't you stop yourself, and they probably won't. The sooner you finish the sooner you can enjoy the freedom.

Personal observation/guessing, the learning is done and the hoop jumping remains. For me this means the fun is done and the plodding is left. A moto of efficient work practice is "Do it, Dump it, or Delegate it." You can't delegate it. If you dump it you will reduce your freedom / opportunities that you will have in the future. So, do it. Get out there and shovel the drive-way, then you can drive the car.

Good luck,

[This message has been edited by Iam2 (edited December 20, 2002).]

#12494 12/20/02 02:51 PM

Before I got this one English Teacher, I could spell anything, I had worked out my own methods of spelling but becouse they were not "Conventional" she viewed them as wrong and everytime I used them she would call my dumb, lazy, and mark my work as wrong. My math teacher when she was trying to show me math concepts I figured how to get them faster and easier, she asked me how I was doing it and I told her. She didn't believe me so I showed her. She still wanted me to use her 'conventional' method, a method I did not understand. As a result, because they forbade me with grades, I learned to dread the subjects, later I encountered an English teacher that welcomed me and my thoughts I then understood English, I learnt to to love it. Not so with math, I still have a hard time.
That is what I mean by we get dumber as we get older. Would a smart person listen to these people and let their words hold them captive?

[This message has been edited by jonah (edited December 20, 2002).]

#12495 12/21/02 01:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Iam2:
Don't quit. Don't quit by default and let it drag on. Dig it and finish. Don't filter you work, let them do the filtering. Make them tell you do don't deserve the degree, then prove them wrong. You'll be surprise... they probably wont say you don't deserve it.

Thanks!

Let us put it this way; I have used 12 years on a 6 year degree ... really busted my head, but I have kept coming back as I have gotten a little wiser.

I know I have the ability, I have always known that, but I just haven´t believed in their theories, and thus had problems working with them. But I have seen the importance in knowing them, so I might be able to prove them wrong someday...

I am almost done with my degree; 6 more months!! And this forum has been my inspiration this fall, and now I can really see the end of the tunnel

So thanks!

laughing-heart

#12496 12/23/02 11:35 PM

I agree. My teacher always said that somethings may be hard but not impossible. I plan to get 2 PhD's and everyone tells me its extremely hard (and believe I'm just fantasizing because I'm just a kid quite a bit of times) but I always reply it may be hard but not impossible.

GOTENKS

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved