Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#12923 02/21/03 04:09 AM
tool Offline OP
OP Offline

i'm not quite sure about how to explain this but I'll try.I constantly have a barrage of pictures popping up in my mind all day and most of them are negative scary pictures.I've tried to control them,but to no avail and positive thought talk does'nt work either,Ive been on Paxil and it did help but I don't like the fact of being on a prescripton med.The psychiatrist told me it was OCD which kind of comforted me knowig that it had a name and there was a med I could take to relieve it.But my question is-is there a natural way or method of controlling these automatic thoughts or is it truly a chemical imbalance that needs medication to overcome?

#12924 02/21/03 06:23 AM

tool,

I have a friend with OCD and it's really interesting how it can manifest itself in different people.

The issues you are dealing with might be helped with figuring out WHY you are having these images, instead of trying to get rid of them. I've been reading Win Wengers "Einstein Factor" book and it has some really interesting techniques for dealing with our mind and our thoughts.

For whatever reason, you are generating these images and seeing them. It might be worth the time to try and see if there is a reason for it ..

You might try some of the techniques for Image Streaming on Win's site, he also has a Yahoo group that he posts frequently on. (http://www.winwenger.com)

Hope this is useful.

Tracey

#12925 02/23/03 12:23 AM

Hi Tool

Try cognitive/behaviour therapy. I think they are known as cognitive/behaviour psychologists. Also, try several psychiatrists before you believe anyone's opinion about your current condition.

#12926 12/09/03 03:39 PM

By the way.. A friend of mine is suffering from OCD. He has bought stuff like from ThinkRightNow, to handle anxiety... But are there anything which handle OCD directly? Like hypnosistapes or something like that??

#12927 12/09/03 04:03 PM

Since I am 51 and had OCD many years I will tell you my experience. At age 29 I seriously changed my diet. Eating a modified macrobiotic diet helped some but I couldn't stay with the diet. OCD behavior is a result of an imbalanced spleen so you might want to think about doing a few cleansings. What finally cured it though is I started listening to Holosync in February and the OCD melted away. Holosync doesn't work for everybody though.

Heart

#12928 12/10/03 05:47 PM

Hi tool try this site it works with most anything EFT www.emofree.com enjoy and it's fast and easy to apply.

#12929 12/11/03 09:33 AM

Ladies and Gentlemen, Look out.

O.k. check this out. I had this exact phenomenon going on with years back and it lasted 3 years. Because I didn't do anything about it. Tool, I KNOW EXACTLY what you are going through. I'm talking it was like cable TV channels flashing horrifying stuff at unstoppable rates, and WHATEVER you do, DO NOT TRY to control it, it makes it worse. What I can tell you is that you don't necessarily have OCD, don't buy into the scams of modern Psychology. I'm telling you that we all have an over active monkey mind sometimes, the only problem is that yours is out of control.
I look back and I now realize I didn't have OCD, I just had my focus in the wrong places, I didn't have focused goals, I had unresolved emotional conflicts and lack of self purpose and most of all not staying in the present moment. I now realize that I had huge genius abilities that were not being channeled in directions that benefited me.
I'll bet 100 dollars you're an extremely insightful, bright, emathatic, and creative individual. Why do you think artists get spontaneous ideas and constant flows of thought and abilities to look at things from all angles. You have a gift and not OCD. Hell even OCD folks don't have OCD. This modern medical industry wants to keep us hooked to their little theories, to the pills, and give us little pet names for our lack of focus and general imbalance(not that there aren't legitament mental diseases like Schzophrenia, anyways) so then we're instantly hypnotized by these sources of authority and we get locked in our own self limiting Trance.
Again you have a gift and when you channel properly you will be able to direct light speed thought towards any endeavor you venture upon. You have an out of control image stream. And for one of three reasons.
A. You could quite possibly have emotional conflicts that are related to specific events, persons, or past experiences. Or you may have been exposed to stimuli(pictures, film, everday life witnesses) that caused you emotional disturbance and because you haven't brought it into your awareness and let it go it continues to perpetuate just below your conscious awareness, manifesting itself as repetetive intrusive thoughts.
B. What I already mentioned your amazing lighting speed thought potential not channeled in more constructive directions. Thats why they say idleness is the devil's play. (in ancient puritan times)
C. Also you may be living an imbalanced lifestyle. Lack of sleep, lack of focus in the present(too much past-future focus), lack of goals that matter to YOU, poor eating habits, and just compulsiveness to constantly grab the next thought.
I'm telling what you are describing is EXACTLY what I had, that why I feel strongly about posting this and have written so much. And now guess what? My mind is quiet, but when I do put my mind to photo reading or taking large amounts of imformation it's like my mind had so much practice taking in those intense intrusive thoughts that flashed so incessantly that I now can just take in gobs of useful imformation all once very effortlessly, but I have to allow it. Fighting those thoughts will only make it worse.

Basically look at the content of the thoughts. EMOTION fuels THOUGHTS. If there's content that you can recognize in those thoughts that gives that uhhhgggg emotion then you could deal the issue itself and it's emotional component. If you do this your mind will quiet down. The event or concept that disturbs you was witnessed, and the thoughts themselves are simply emotionless mental recordings. But then if there is a negative emotional reaction to the mental recording then one tends to try run away from it, push it down, ignore, compulsively try to rid of it. The Physiology of the mind is that if you force yourself not to think of something then the opposite effect occurs to even greater degree(your mind will think it more). It may sound odd but you need(I'm not trying to sound like a know it all but you won't here this from a Psycho-therapist who only wants more money and to keep you convinced that you need YEARS of treatment, baah! a bunch of Crapp!) deal with the emotions associated with content of these thoughts. Try to remember when they started and what stimuli may have triggered it at any point before it "started up".
There is a thought wheel is spinning to fast, you need to "get out of your head" and focus on the "outside world" and the wheel will start slowing down. You'll see that if you simple get out, overtime when you go back in you'll have a supercharged mind that you can direct openly to anything you do. Lastly I what helped me. Anything you intuitively know will help you is best for you but since your problem is IDENTICAL to the one I had I tell what helped me. Think for yourself of course but here it is:
The Sedona method, Eckhart Tolle's book "The Power of NOW", Any energy therapy(EFT, www.emoclear.com), Natural Brilliance, and simple Mindfulness(Buddhist Tradition). Oh and learning percussion seems to open the mind I've noticed in ways that free up clogged thoughts. Really these things are simply a guide, once you discover how simple the solution to your problem is you'll kick yourself, likes it's been here all along. YOU'RE the one who does the actions and takes the steps fully realize yourself, not a book or information source. However I tell you from personal experience that if you "surrender" yourself to some of the above teachings and come to you're own conclusions yourself you'll start to notice this problem losing it's momentum until finally, there it goes! It's gone.

#12930 02/05/04 02:12 AM

ahhh! i have to write all over again.....lol

my reply got deleted
Tool (cool band btw), its wonderful that u posted!

what u are going through is real and does not mean a weakness of character or anything.
the type of ocd u may have ( if u have it) is called "pure obsessional". this type is hard to diagnose as most relate ocd with overt actions ie cleaning, washing etc.

Id like to recommend a few books:

"the imp of the mind" - probably most related to what u are going through.

"Brain Lock"
"stop obsessing"

also, a good website -http://www.ocdonline.com/faq.htm - might be seem like too much info , just give it a look. I wouldnt mind suggesting more things, if u ever want to exchange emails.

i think u might have an advantage when it comes to learning Photoreading. u seem bright and most people who experience this are very intelligent.

I wish u the best
Good luck!

#12931 02/06/04 06:13 AM
tool Offline OP
OP Offline

Yeah, the band's great,I'm also a drummer and consider Danny Carey one of the greatest.Thanks for the encouraging words.Your right in the fact that the Doc. didn't say that I was ocd,but very obsessive and don't really have any compulsions.I have been using alternative treatments such as st.johns wort,a Bcomplex and Inositol with pretty good effect.Not as good as the Paxil but they do keep me on a ,what I consider, more normal level.Thanks for the suggestions,I'll definitely look into them.

#12932 02/07/04 05:03 AM

Hey TOOL, no offense to Smartfish, those programs will help you with this problem but the help will be limited because it will reinforce the self fulfilling prophecy and strengthen the hypnotic effect of belief that you are a Pure Obseesional. I feel strongly about this because I feel I've got something in common with you. I've played drums(love the double tick) for about 10 years and I'm into stuff like KILLSWITCH ENGAGE, SEVENDUST, and yes TOOL. I've been a metal head for years and stil kinda am(branched out a little)I know what it's like to feel "outside" of IT. And I also suffered from problems that some would describe as PURE OBSESSIONAL. But if you read any book about Eastern Meditation you always find that the authors say that while meditating they're minds were frantic, out of control, and sometimes violent. This is normal for you and everyone in this "thinking, analytical society". Apparently Buddah himself had OCD, the Dali Lama, Gahndi, or any contemplative prayer monk will tell you the same. It's sounds like your just imbalanced in your life in some way and it's just expressing itself with thoughts. You can think I'm a rambler or just presenting Hocus Pocus ideas but you have to realize all these fancy "disorders" are just labels to various phenomenons that occur within humans when they are imbalanced or lack direction. You've got a Dodge Viper up there in your skull. Just check anything about EFT(an energy psychology), "letting go or releasing, stay present in the moment(zen,mindfulness), and also setting goals and fulling engaging in them. I KNOW you'll finally see that this "problem" is OCD or pure obsessional just a simple imbalance in your energy and in your life. Don't buy into what other people say or even me, find your truth. What do you have to lose?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved