Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#14170 11/12/03 12:44 PM
NickR Offline OP
OP Offline

Last Friday my son a bright,funny and athletic individual went to work. Five hours later he had been crushed under a dumper truck. Besides my own anger and grief I am afraid for my partner, she looks so broken. I know this is heavy, but I want to help her the best that I can, and the other children. My partners sister-in-law is a staunch Roman Catholic, we envy her in her faith. I just hope amongst all the collective wisdom that is on this forum that I can find something to cling to. Nothing makes any sense.

#14171 11/12/03 05:32 PM

Dear Nick,

I can feel your grief, and it is right and true that you and your partner should feel grief in the loss of your son.

Each of us has our own experience of life and our own unique understanding, or lack of understanding of death. I can only share my own experiences, and hopefully you and others may find some bit of light and hope in them.

The closest person to me that has passed on is my grandfather. He really meant a lot to everyone in the family and he lived an active life of service to his community of family and friends. He died as he lived - at the end of a day of yard work and also providencially a long and deep conversaiion with his wife of over sixty years. He lay down to sleep and the walking pneumonia that he evidently had, filled his lungs with fluid and stopped his heart.

Initially, I was saddened to hear the news of my grandfather's death, and the family was quite shaken as would be expected. However, just after his death, I did begin to experience a sense of extreme closeness to him - and with this a sense of joy began to fill my heart. As he was no longer, as in life, in a particular location, it felt as if his essence, wisdom, love, and brilliance had come to rest in my heart. I felt a certain sense of guilt in the face of my families grief. Here they felt a sense of loss and I felt like I had been given the most precious gift. I felt closer to him than even when I had sat on his lap as a child held in his warm, jolly and loving embrace. I wanted to tell them - "look in your heart, he is there", but I was hesistant to share my inner experience.

In the end I offered to do the eulogy at the service and I did put the basic idea into the speech, without the mystical description. The essence of it was that we are left after the death of a person whom we love with all of the good experiences and memories of the person, with all of the lessons that we learned as a result of our loving them. To give their life the most meaning, we must take all that was real of thier life - their spirit and consciousness - to heart. This I believe is the true meaning of "taking something to heart".

I hope that this has been helpful in some way to you in your time of sorrow. I too have children and the idea of the loss of ones child has got to be the worst possible scenario in any parents life. However brief a childs time with a parent, the effect of the quality of their life upon the world is incalculable. The have made a difference. Every life matters a great deal. The world is a better place for their having lived in it.

in sympathy,

Blake

#14172 11/12/03 09:12 PM
NickR Offline OP
OP Offline

Blake
Thank you very much for sharing your experience. It has helped. It is too easy to sink into bitterness. It is difficult, but I do take comfort from the fact that he had a great life. It is very cheering to be visited by so many of his friends. He certainly made an impact.

#14173 11/12/03 11:21 PM

Nick:
My heart goes out to you and your partner. You two will be in my prayers.

Much love,
Heart

#14174 11/13/03 12:34 PM
NickR Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Heartbeat. I don't usually pray. I am sure that I am missing out on a lot.

#14175 11/13/03 05:20 PM

What can one say? I can only begin to imagine the loss of a child like that, and my mind shuns entertaining the idea. You have my deepest compassion.

My own experience of coping with the loss of someone deeply important to me is, after time, that the power of their memory comes back, and all the ways in which they changed your life and the lives of others stay with you. IMO, the pain of the loss of someone so important does not go away, and nor would I want it to, but it does transmute into something that can continue to touch peoples lives in a positive way, including your own and that of your partner.

I only wish I had something more to offer you.

Adam

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved