Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#14203 11/23/03 11:03 PM
tk421 Offline OP
OP Offline

My sleeping cycle is completely messed up, this semester has been the only semester ive ever pulled all nighters, ive done a few at least 3 or 4. And the most recent one was at least two weeks ago. So now the past three days ive woken up at 4:30pm, 4:30pm and today i woke up at 5pm. Now im used to staying up faily late between 2-3. On these past three days ive set my alarm but i always just turn it off cause im still really tired. Last night i tried to fall asleep at a decent hour around midnight. I even took two nyquils i just wanted to fall asleep at an earlier hour so maybe id naturally wake up at an earlier hour. But i couldnt fall asleep for a long time maybe until like 4 am. Can someone help me? I feel like this cycle is gonna be endless and im not gonna be able to break it, im just hoping i dont sleep through my class tommorow.

#14204 11/24/03 02:19 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Firsly don't worry about it. Panic will keep you in the cycle.

If you cannot sleep stick to the 'desired pattern' Get up when the alarm goes of but avoid sleeping then. When you have trouble falling asleep be okay with it. Just as long as you're letting your body rest you're doing all that is necessary.

Make sure you don't have caffine drinks at least 4 hours before you intend to go to bed. Be sure to check many drinks now have caffine added.

Soothing music... slow kind or a nature sound Cd helps many people if you haven't already tried that give it a go. The music should be wordless so that you mind wind down on thinking.

You could also try an evening meal that includes turkey, that has a substance that causes people to feel more sleepy. Then in the evening when you feel tired go to bed earlier.

If you're tired during the day avoid napping longer than 45 minutes. A good way to get around the shortened sleep cycle is to meditate for 30 minutes instead of napping.

It's been recorded that 20 minutes of theta brain entrainment will bring you back to alertness.

In all take it as something that will soon pass and not worry too much about it. If you don't panic about it then it will resolve itself.

The problem could simply be a change in diet that you haven't notice. The stress you might be experiencing in your studies might be a factor and if it is do some stress relieving exercises and meditation.

Alex

#14205 11/26/03 10:03 AM

Wow, we should talk sometimes TK. I've been reading your threads and it seems that you and I have a lot of problems in common. What year are you in college? I am fourth year student at UCBerkeley, majoring in economics.

Here's what I did to get back to the normal sleeping cycle. I used New Behavior Generator to condition myself to wake up as soon as the alarm o'clock went off. I also used the Ten Minutes Supercharger during the day to give me an energy boost when I feel sleepy.

I don't know how much of my getting back to the normal sleeping cycle was contributed by these two tapes, but I did get back ot the normal sleeping cycle in about a week. So...yeah. Maybe you should try that.

#14206 11/30/03 12:43 AM
tk421 Offline OP
OP Offline

hey chuckie, im in my second year of college, thanks for the advice, i will try that, also alex thanks for ur advice as well

#14207 12/21/03 09:17 AM

1) Never take sleeping pills, they play with the whole body!!!

2) Learn image streaming as a tool for going to sleep. (image stream as normal just don't speak out loud). http://www.winwenger.com/winsight.htm (read number one then two)

3) Get allot of fresh air in the day. Some exercise but not right before going to bed.

I could go on but if you do the above you need no more, good luck!!

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved