Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
sonagi Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi! Do we have anyone in the forum with Biofeedback (specifically EEG) experience? I read somewhere that EEG Training combined with brain entrainment (like using Brainwave generator) can significally speed up meditation progress. Can't remember the exact source, but I remember being impressed by the claim that EEG+brain entrainment training can teach one to change brain frequency at will...to a degree that used be only achieved by 10-yr. Zen meditationers.

Does anyone know where I can get cheap and efficient EEG monitor? The ones on ebay are $1000+.

"http://openeeg.sourceforge.net/doc/modeeg/modeeg.html" describes how to build an EEG monitor for about $200, but it seems to complicated.

I learned various bits of Vipassana, Zen, and Progressive meditation practices, but I think having a visual and auditory signals that tell me that I am in the right state would be greatly beneficial. I suppose achieving enlightenment entails more than manipulating brain frequency, but it seems high-tech could accelerate the process greatly.

So, what do you guys think of Accelerated Englightenment!

Did you try looking at: www.trans4mind.com

I would seriously consider using a Galvanic Skin Response gadget before going head first into this stuff. GSRs are much cheaper and easier to use and you can test the biofeedback waters with them to see if this is for you. Better yet, see a Biofeedback Practioner and tell him/her what you want to do. They can usualy steer you in the right direction and they usualy have years of experience.

You're getting into an expensive game that can easily cost you $2000 to $3000 for basic equipment. Why buy a Cadilac when all you need is an Echo.

Cheers!

sonagi Offline OP
OP Offline

focuskid, galvanic tester sounds interesting. How much does it cost? I am interested in EEG because I think it's the best way to monitor my brain to see whether I am in Alpha and lower brain states.

Doesn't galvanic tester only test the level of stress? Well, I will definitely google around for it.

As far as the EEG machine is concerned, A decent Brainmaster E2 module with some software seems to cost around $1,000 (which I don't have!). Building it on my own will cost me around $200-300, but seems to require an indept electronics skills.

I know that monks and gurus don't depend on these machines, but I think we who live in the 21st century could use some high-tech boost.

If you go to www.trans4mind.com they have GSR meters and they have a course called
"GSR & Bilateral Meter Course" which is free. They also sell a course called "Meta-Programming" which works with GSRs where you can actually see if the negative emotion is cleared. This site has many resources and free download-able books (Transforming the Mind) and online tests that you can take. But like always, no one ever takes my advice.

sonagi Offline OP
OP Offline

Hobo, thanks for the link. I looked the alink when you first posted it, but it seems not too focused on my interest (based on my causaul reading). Now, I will do more search in that site. (A little more detail would have helped though).

I will study the site you gave me~!

Thanks Hobo

You got to understand that I have 5 teenagers. They never listen to my advice! LOL! I do understand that the website is cluttered with advertisements. But search around, hope it helps! I'll try to be in a better mood next time.

Ambience: As you probably found out by now, GSRs are about $150 US without accessories. They take the Galvanic resistance of the skin and produce a beep or tone. A high pitched tone means your tense and a lower tone means your relaxing. I'm sure there are lots of web retailers selling GSRs.

EEG devices are good but if your goal is to meditate like a guru I'm not so sure they'll help you since you'd be getting only visual feedback and you'll be meditating with your eyes closed! Usualy only Bioffedback Practioners will dish out that kind of cash for a machine.

There are lots of ways to get into meditation, Biofeedback is one of them and it's probably the most expensive.

Good hunting!

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved