Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#15327 08/07/04 05:08 AM
OP Offline

Do subliminal recordings really work? I know that research has been done on using subliminal messages. But what about all these subliminal products being offered? It would be hard to prove or disprove how effective they are. I read one article that said they didn't find any messages on some products. Also I suppose that there are different technilogies that can be used.

Any experiences you care to share?

Thanks

#15328 08/07/04 01:23 PM
Learning Strategies Admin

Some work some don't.

It's found that if you can make out a voice when it's loud enough you've got a subliminal that has the better chance of working. If you can't detect a whispher... it's questionable if it will work.

You do need to see the list of affirmations that are on the recording to deterimine if you agree with them or not. I've seen some that had suggestions stated in the negative which means you'd get opposing results.

Most of the problems I have with subliminals is the masking music is so utterly boring I can't stand having it going in the background... I'd prefer the affirmations without the mask. If you have to listen to something every day for 30 days. It needs to be provide a little bit of enjoyment.

Alex

#15329 08/09/04 12:32 AM
OP Offline

Alex,

Let me see if I'm understanding your response correctly. Subliminals work if:

1) The quality is such that you can detect a whisper of the affirmations.

2) The affirmations are stated correctly, i.e., in the positive.

3) The music is enjoyable enough to hold your interest.

So far so good?

Assuming the above, would they be anymore effective than doing a visualization or self-hypnosis where you state these these affirmations yourself?

Thanks

#15330 08/09/04 02:42 AM

The passive approach is always slower than the active approach.

If you visualise or use self hypnosis you are being more active than merely listening to subliminal.

If the music on a subliminal is okay then you're likely to listen to it for a month but if you visualise for a week you'll have benefits.

Alex

#15331 08/11/04 01:21 AM
OP Offline

Thanks for the info.

For some reason I was under the impression that subliminals were more powerful that doing your own visualization - meditations.

#15332 08/11/04 07:21 AM

Very few people last a week using subliminals. The music just isn't that great. Decisive action is always more powerful than passive waiting.

Alex

#15333 08/11/04 01:19 PM
OP Offline

Hi,

It must be a matter of the particular tape or personal taste. The music is the one thing I liked about the subliminals.

Thanks

#15334 08/11/04 01:52 PM

Think of how many conversations you hear just out of earshot that for all practical purposes are subliminal.

Are you influenced willy nilly by those?

We react to stimuli in our environment. Simply because something is on the periphery of conscious awareness or beyond does not mean it is the most catalystic element in our environment.

Frankly, the repetition of images while in highly aroused states will probably do more to influence you. Think of advertising.

If you want to influence yourself, find that to which you are most reactive and utilize it, if you want to go that path.

A woman who went to see Milton Erickson had some kind of bowel disorder and could not handle it without medicine. This woman had to go on a trip and could not use the medicine or the toilet as she was used to and challenged Erickson to "fix" her in a very short period of time.

He discovered that she and her sister were always very competitive and that she resented her sister very much. So he told the woman to repeat as much as she could, "My sister says I have to take my medicine and I cannot get better without my medicine." Because she had a strong, unconscious, and polar reaction to her sister's demands, this affirmation caused her condition to reverse itself without the necessity of taking her medicine or visiting the toilet as often as she had to. She went on her trip and had no incidents.

Notice what affects you and use it if you want to have an unconscious, knee-jerk conditioning effect upon yourself.

[This message has been edited by babayada (edited August 11, 2004).]

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved